New pool owner and need some assistance

Jun 8, 2014
Avondale AZ
Moved into my house almost a month ago and I have a pool that I believe is roughly 20k gallons. I've begun to get a little bit of algae growth. I go out there and scrub it occasionally as well as having one of the pool vacuums that runs when the pump is running. This is my first home so I don't have ANY pool experience but want to maintain it myself. With the house came some equipment (pictured), as well as bucket of chlorine tabs as well as a bottle of pool perfect + phos free. I also have an Ozone generator.

I dont know how to adjust pH, what it should be, or anything! HELP!
20140529_140310.jpg

20140529_135656.jpg

20140529_135654.jpg

20140529_135619.jpg

20140529_135608.jpg

20140529_135548.jpg

20140529_135543.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Step 1: throw away the test strips and order one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Step 2: Read Pool School while waiting for test kit. Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Step 3: Follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear up the pool

Step 4: :swim:

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

{And edit your first post so all the images show up like I changed the first one}

If the other filter you a referring to is the small brown one to the right..that's your air blower for the bubbler in the spa. I have the same filter and probably air blower as you have. I have the Aqualink RS8 system also.

I've been told the BBB method was the best? I should add the pool is fine for swimming, just noticing a little discoloration on the walls.

The BBB method (now known as the TFPC method) is our recommended way of maintaining a pool at its peak.
It involves your effort in reading (which you have done - good!) and understanding pool school (this will come once you start testing and adjusting your pool), and taking care of your pool (with our help). Don't worry too much if you don't understand everything in pool school at first.

To get a pool to its peak condition, we recommend SLAMming the pool. In order to SLAM your pool (and to follow the TFPC method), you will need one of the recommended test kits.

Your pictures indicate that the water is relatively clear, but you have mentioned a slight discolouration on the walls and that the house came with chlorine tablets.
Chlorine tablets actually contain both chlorine and stabiliser. The chlorine is used up, but the stabiliser (cyanuric acid or CYA) remains in the water. CYA is something that is required in moderation - a little of it helps to reduce the chlorine loss to sunlight, but too much of it reduces your effective chlorine levels.
Getting the recommended test kit will enable us to determine whether or not your CYA level has reached "too much".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.