Evening from Texas. Need Some Help

Tx_Cat

Apr 8, 2011
EPT
Hi yall,

Hope yall doing good. I have been pondering for a few years in getting a pool at my house. Called in a few pool builders, and all of them were in the neighborhood of $30k+ for a simple rectangular pool. So I said, screw it. I consider myself a knowledgeable and google is my my friend.

So, this is the deal: there is no way I am spending $30k on a pool, why? Well because I do not have that amount of money for a pool. But lets be realistic, the pool I want I can build it under $10k and using good products. So my design is simple, a rectangular pool with half a moon as the entrance with stairs. Oh forgot to mention, it will be an indoor pool. With hour crazy weather and living in desert, pool would be dirty all the time. I did some calculations and I have narrow it down to 3 options:

Depth for all 3 pools:
*Min Depth = 5ft
*Max Depth = 6.5ft
*Average depth of 5.75

1. Small Pool 14x28
*16905 gallons in total
*23.479GPM

2. Medium Pool 15x30
*19406 gallons in total
*26.95GPM

3. Big Pool 16x32
*22080 gallons in total
*30.6GPM

My question, what type of piping should I use? I been researching and many people recommend 2" piping with a 1HP pump. Will that be suffice to move all the water? Also, what brand of pump, filter, heater (gas and solar), chlorinator should I consider? PVC schedule 40 pipe? It would be a plastered pool, what type of material can I use at the bottom? I also want LED in the pool. How many skimmers should I use? How many returns and what size?

I am planning on getting the subcontractors, individually, to complete each phase of the pool construction. There aren't that many PB around my area, hence why it is very expensive (or at least I think it is expensive)..

Sorry for the scattered questions..

Thanks for your help.

-I

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You are undertaking a big task ... but it is doable.
I am not sure why you are listing flow rates by each pool size?

Yes use 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe at a minimum. Run the floor and skimmer lines separately to the pump with a valve to control the flow (use good pool valves like Neverlube).

I would think a 1HP 2-speed pump would be a good choice.

Brand does not really matter on the equipment if you stick with the major ones. We do not recommend the use of chlorinators (assuming you actually mean the tablet feeders and not a SWG).

Now I am concerned if you are asking what material to use for the structure ... it needs to be concrete (gunite / shotcrete) with rebar for the shell covered with plaster.

1 skimmer should be fine for indoor pool. I would say 3 return jets either in a full loop or individually plumbed with eyeball fittings.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You are undertaking a big task ... but it is doable.
I am not sure why you are listing flow rates by each pool size?

Yes use 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe at a minimum. Run the floor and skimmer lines separately to the pump with a valve to control the flow (use good pool valves like Neverlube).

I would think a 1HP 2-speed pump would be a good choice.

Brand does not really matter on the equipment if you stick with the major ones. We do not recommend the use of chlorinators (assuming you actually mean the tablet feeders and not a SWG).

Now I am concerned if you are asking what material to use for the structure ... it needs to be concrete (gunite / shotcrete) with rebar for the shell covered with plaster.

1 skimmer should be fine for indoor pool. I would say 3 return jets either in a full loop or individually plumbed with eyeball fittings.

Good Morning,

Thank you for your reply. In regards to the material, I was talking about, instead of using tile (once the plaster has cured) the type of colored rock ( do not know the name of it).

The reason as to why I showed the flow rates was to see if I could get guidance as to which type of pump would work for each individual pool. I will look into the pool valves (thanks for the brand)

If you're going with an indoor pool, why not go vinyl? You could buy a kit, get it delivered and get it in for a lot cheaper IMO.

Are you sure you don't want a shallow end? It's your pool, but I think you are making a mistake with the minimum depth.

I agree with Jason on all he says, but for the returns I would do individual runs, each controlled with a ball valve.

You have no water features that need lots of water, and none of your proposed sizes are huge, so the smallest 2 speed pump would be your best bet. I think this 3/4 hp 2 speed would be perfect. But a 1 hp 2 speed would also be a good choice.

I just want to warn you that you may need a lot of patience getting this done. I live where there are a lot of pool builders and subs and I recently had a remodel with a well established very busy pool builder. There were still wrinkles in getting everyone out to do their part at the time that the builder wanted them. If there are few PB around your areas, that will probably mean few subs. They will work for the PBs first, and for you if they don't have anything else to do. Keep that in mind as you are trying to schedule folks.

Good luck!

+1 what guns said. I had to finish my pool on my own and I was lucky it was after the financial crisis and pool building was very slow. I didn't have a hard time finding the subs, but I'm sure it would be pretty hard now with our booming economy. But good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.