First Algae bloom since converting to BBB

edge

Mar 10, 2014
Douglas, GA
Since converting to Bleach the pool has been crystal clear this season. We have had people in it every weekend lately and t's had a heavy bather load. I have been keeping the Chlorine level high due to a previous medium-high CYA reading. I've been running it between 7-10 ppm. Keeping it super clean, sweeping it daily etc. Had people people over saturday and it was beautiful, Monday after work.....Algae blooming like crazy! It has been pretty warm and the water temp has come up to around 90 degrees. Yesterday I dropped 4 tablets of Trichlor in the skimmer to get some more chlorine in it until I can get some shock or a ton of bleach. A LOT of water has been replaced since the CYA read high so I'm sure it's much lower by now as I;ve only used bleach since learning of the tablet issues. The water is cloudy today as I stirred the algae us and left it running all night with the tablets in to dispense more chlorine into the water. I hope to vac on waste to remove anything that drops to the bottom. I sure hope this isn't too hard to clear up as I've really enjoyed how easy the pool has been to take care of so far this year. I do not have a full test as I ran out of some reagents(currently waiting on order to come in from tftkits)...

As of right now, all I should do is "SLAM" it and wait for the cloudiness to clear afterwards right? I've been enjoying the TFP way so much lately I have almost forgot how to handle this problem!

Yes, you need to SLAM to clear it. Your high bather load would have brought in large amounts of organic matter, allowing algae to gain a foothold.
Please test your CYA, you need to know your CYA level to SLAM effectively. Additionally, since you have algae, I'd recommend that you not use tablets in the mean time - raising your CYA means raising the FC required for SLAM.

Do you have a record of your last test results, and when was it taken?

I went and got 5 gallons of bleach last night. Let it run all night and day. This evening it's much clearer. I vacuumed to waste and left it running. I cannot test cya or chlorine until I get my reagents refills. I will keep the chlorine high until I get test results

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You said your CYA is already pretty high, adding 4 tabs to the system isn't going to help. Also, I hate the idea of tabs in the skimmer, they send a lot of CL through your equipment, especially if you aren't running the pump 24/7.

It was high when I opened the pool this year so I replaced 80% of the water. My last measurement was about 60 and I've added allot more fresh water since with rain and hose after evaporation. I didn't follow the slam procedure Per say. More of a shock. I don't have a big enough issue to slam. I added the bleach and it's almost prefect now a day later. Just a little cloudy but that should clear as the chlorine level comes back down.

Tablets also won't give the pool the chlorine it needs as fast as it needs it. The dissolve so slowly.

It's always important to check your kits to make sure you have reagents so if something does go off, you will always be prepared. :goodjob:

- - - Updated - - -

It was high when I opened the pool this year so I replaced 80% of the water. My last measurement was about 60 and I've added allot more fresh water since with rain and hose after evaporation. I didn't follow the slam procedure Per say. More of a shock. I don't have a big enough issue to slam. I added the bleach and it's almost prefect now a day later. Just a little cloudy but that should clear as the chlorine level comes back down.

edge, you are probably in the midst of an all out war. Do not under estimate algae. It will haunt your pool like no one's business. You need to SLAM the pool and do an OCLT.

ba7asaje.jpg
e3asuhy3.jpg

I would SLAM it and MAINTAIN so it doesn't take hold.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I'll just get more bleach. I can't test so I think 5 more gallons over a couple days should take our plenty high enough and keep it there. Even with full Sun for almost 12 hours everyday, it doesn't seem to lose much chlorine but I don't have a reading to compare.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.