How to straighten out Intex AGP leg after pool is full

rj2222

Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
It appears I have one leg that is way more crooked than the others, and wonder if there's any options whatsoever to straighten it even though the pool is full. is there some sort of jack where i can take a bit of pressure off one of the straight bars enough to straighten and relevel that leg? or should i just leave it.

on my old 18x48 intex I used a floor jack and a 2x4 to lift my pool and adjust the pavers the legs were on. Put the 2x4 as close to the T fitting as you can and jack it up slowly, and just enough to accomplish what you need. You should have no issues.

I would be very cautious and careful using the jack on the pool as I have read of these jacks kicking out and possibly causing very bad injuries if hit by it.

Thanks for the replies.

Truth be told, I don't even own a jack, and honestly i'm pretty leery of using on for the exact reason Casey mentioned. But if you're using a jack, what's the 2x4 for? are you basically jacking the vertical 2x4 into the T to raise it up just enough?

Maybe i'll save this strategy for if push comes to shove and it gets any worse. it doesn't look like it's doing any damage to the leg or T it goes into, but who knows how it will progress over the summer.

My new Intex pool is about 1.5" lower in one corner and that side has about three of the six pavers dig down more than I like. The support base is at the edge of the paver and it dug down. I may be overly worried, but hate to think of the worst case scenario.
I am contemplating trying something similar. I am not sure if I should be fine for this season and adjust next year or worry about it now and possibly drain it.

I hear you, it's a tough decision. In reading some other threads on here, some people have said if it's like an inch or so off, you might be ok as long as you're careful with the wall (don't hang, kick off it, etc). But I'm sure someone with more experience can probably provide some better advice.
Are the legs or joints showing any signs of bending/breaking?

Which way is it leaning? I wonder if it will slide out. How about a picture? After filling mine I have been able to move it a bit by lightly tapping it while someone tried to relieve some of the weight of the pool. But that is moving it less then an inch. Seems safer then a jack. If it is just one leg the others might be holding it up a bit and maybe you could move it. These are pictures of a pool I pass in my travels. I am not sure how far off it is but it seems to have doubled in a week. It is clearly getting worse. So yours might too.
0625141518.jpg0702141226.jpg

Oh My God... That pool. And 2x4's? Really?!!!

I should have taken pics of the red neck set up this guy did on an intex a couple summers ago. :shock: It was crazy!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WOW! I feel MUCH better about my install now. lol.
I did another closer check with it tonight after a pretty good rain. The water is just touching the white on the lower corner. The other corners are just about 1 or 1.5" higher. The one thing I was concerned with is a couple of the supports on one side had their pavers push down slightly and kicking up on the inside some. Nowhere closer to the liner or anything and but they are pretty sturdy. I am planning on building up the ground around that side so I don't worry about any torrential rain eroding any of the ground around them. I figure I could put some stone down, and then maybe synthetic mulch? Would that be a good option to prevent erosion? I would rather not put grass there.

I don't see how I would even think about putting a 2x4 on the top beam to jack it up, so I am just going to keep an eye on things and work on protecting the ground that is there.

You are out of level when it comes to industry standards sandman. If you start to sink on that corner and it becomes more out of level, you will need to take the pool down and fix it. You won't like the way it needs to be fixed either. To level properly, you need to find the lowest point (which is that low corner) and start digging the earth down to that point.

I think it will be fine for this season. It isn't so much that the pool is unlevel, it is mainly those couple supports have sunk on that one side. It isn't a gradual dip of 1-1.5" it is more like just at the edge. So I am thinking it will be ok until I get to take it down and will adjust accordingly next season. I did dig down on the high end about a foot to level it out. It is just the ground is apparently softer at that end and the pavers sunk and kick up a little. I am mainly concerned with the ground around and under the supports washing out more since it was cleared for the pool. So I think I will put stone down on that side and perhaps mulch on top of that to help prevent erosion.

I have an intex 20 x 52 pool. When we put the pool up it was pretty level except for 2 legs appeared to be sinking causing about an inch difference in that particular area soooo we decided we would use a car jack to jack up those two legs where it should be, one at
a time of course to add another paver. It brought it up some but those 2 legs are now noticeably kicked out and I think we are going to drain it this weekend as I see no other option at this point. I'm thinking that the reason that they kicked out like they did was because the pool was given to me by my son and for some unknown reason the rope that goes around the bottom wasn't tied when I got it. I did tie the rope before we filled it with water but I don't think we tied it tight enough causing the legs to kick out when we jacked it up. If anyone has a better solution than draining the pool let me know thats alot of water down the drain. Its becoming a nightmare and all I want to do is enjoy the pool.

I would be cautious about the 2 x4/ floor jack trick while it definitely works here's what happened to me...after draining all but 6" of water from my 24' Intex and re----leveling my low side maybe 1.5" to 1.75" I refilled a level pool and like 5 days later my wife calls and says we have a leak (that side) I come home go and look and sure enough theres a stream of water coming from a seam at the bottom all I did was touch it with my finger and I almost got knocked on my butt. I managed to convince Intex that it must be a defective liner but was it, I'll never know but I cant think it wasn't related to that jacking just saying be careful

Just make sure your in there when she cuts loose! lol. Then start regrouping for next year! I did the jack method the first year I tried to, "throw up the pool real quick!" Only had a couple of near misses. Not something I'd send my girlfriend out to do, well... by herself anyways! BUT, I am familiar with heavy rigging and looking for caution points. That said, if you don't already even have a floor jack, Id probably look for a different route altogether. You may end up frustration ahead if you just drained it and started over. And I know that sucks and no one wants to hear that. Like Casey said sometime you'll have to cut into the high side of your slope there and figure your depth and diameter of your pool, then level it off so low side of slope is still on mother natures own compacted dirt. I would definitely NOT use a bottle jack, they have too small of a footprint and too little of a lifting head. A floor jack will dig its wheels into the earth as it goes under load and is somewhat stable. Also a floor jack has a lot bigger jack head in the form of a plate to get 2x4 positioned right. The top of the 2x4 sits pretty good once its nestled into the T just right. I found the weak point to be the bottom of the 2x4 sitting on the jack plate. I kind of learned as I went and yielded caution when things didn't seem right. Also youll have to be careful not to cut your pool with tools working in tight spaces. But cant get over the idea of being in there when she lets loose. Sounds like a cool party

EDIT: This was meant for the really bad pool in the pictures. Guess that's what happens when someone uses sand to level the ground, which I remember reading somewhere here that it was not a very good idea cause it will all push out or wash away. Unless it sat in a hole or had a tall sand ring around the pool. The 1" probably even 1.5" difference is probably just bad for asthetics and will be fine. Being the low spot that's where all over flow or waves will continue spilling out onto same spots possibly causing more more rapid settling.

If you start jacking up the legs on the low side and not supporting the liner too.... guess what is going to happen?
That liner can only take so much stress, it is only meant to go so high.
By jacking up the legs on the low side you are effectively making the legs go higher than they are supposed to, to compensate for not leveling the ground under the liner properly.
This "might" make the structure look a little better, but it isn't going to level out the water and it is going to place more stress on that side of the liner and eventually it is going to split.

You need to drain the pool, level and compact ALL the ground under the pool properly, not just under the legs, and refill the pool making sure to monitor the position of the legs carefully as it is filling so you can adjust them before it gets too full.
This isn't a stick the hose in and forget it scenario ;)

These are pictures of a pool I pass in my travels. I am not sure how far off it is but it seems to have doubled in a week. It is clearly getting worse. So yours might too.
View attachment 31565View attachment 31564

They have obviously taken it down and put it back up at some point between the two pics!
Notice the skimmer in the second pic and not in the first?
I thought it may have just been added, but the summer escapes logo is in the second pic and not in the first as well...
So it appears they did try to fix it and just made it worse! lol

Reactions: bjmsam
a word of warning. when i first set up my pool a few years ago one of the legs wasn't positioned correctly. i tried to lift it up when the pool was partially full and cracked a t-joint. best thing to do is take the pool down and relevel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.