Booster Pump Install - Where to plumb? [Picture]

You need to cut out a small section of the return pipe between the filter and the ground and install a T. Then from the open port on the T you run to the input of the booster pump. The output of the booster pump presumably goes to that capped pipe coming out of the ground.

Booster pumps are typically plumbed with smaller diameter flexible hose, or you can use rigid PVC if you want. Either way you will need a couple of fittings to adapt from the larger diameter PVC to the size of the booster pump connections.

JasonLion said:
You need to cut out a small section of the return pipe between the filter and the ground and install a T. Then from the open port on the T you run to the input of the booster pump. The output of the booster pump presumably goes to that capped pipe coming out of the ground.

Booster pumps are typically plumbed with smaller diameter flexible hose, or you can use rigid PVC if you want. Either way you will need a couple of fittings to adapt from the larger diameter PVC to the size of the booster pump connections.

Jason,

Thanks for the help. I have attached a picture of the pump i will be using. It doesn't appear I need any smaller fittings. Are you saying, I should adapt it to smaller fittings anyhow? Also, should I plumb the T higher up to the 90 degree or closer to the ground? Do I need to put in a shutoff valve so water doesn't travel to the pump when it is not on?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 726618-1.jpg
    726618-1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 217
For all of your new questions the answer is mostly that it doesn't matter.

I would add the T closer to the ground, not up in the air, but not right near the ground either. But it really doesn't matter.

If the booster pump has connections for the same size PVC you are already using then there is no need for fittings or changing the size. Some people find the flexible hose easier to work with, but again it doesn't matter.

A shutoff valve might prove useful someday, but they are not always installed and it would hardly ever be used. Again, add one or don't as suits your tastes.

JasonLion said:
For all of your new questions the answer is mostly that it doesn't matter.

I would add the T closer to the ground, not up in the air, but not right near the ground either. But it really doesn't matter.

If the booster pump has connections for the same size PVC you are already using then there is no need for fittings or changing the size. Some people find the flexible hose easier to work with, but again it doesn't matter.

A shutoff valve might prove useful someday, but they are not always installed and it would hardly ever be used. Again, add one or don't as suits your tastes.

I would think adding the T that way would restrict flow to the pump. If vertical, wouldn't the water just rush right past the T opening? If I turned the T upside down, then that would all for even water flow but would take a lot of extra PVC. Maybe I am just misthinking :) - What do you think?

I haven't seen a setup like that yet myself (not that I'm experienced or anything). You only have 1 skimmer and 1 return and no MD in a 22K gal pool? I bet that baby can flow some water with so few bends to contend with.

You are over thinking it. No matter where you put the T everything will work just fine and there will only be a very slight increase in flow resistance. Putting the T in the vertical pipe gives the majority of the water a straight run through the T. The much lower flow rate required by the booster pump will still come out the side of the T just fine.

Pick spots to place the T, etc, so that the pipe runs are easy to get to the booster pump. Making good solid connections at all of the joints and measuring correctly is much more important that where in particular the T ends up along the existing pipe. Place the T so that everything else is easy.

Nod,

I have the same setup you have other then I have a SWG cell in the mix. I will take a picture of my mine so you can see. Mind you, I would think twice about using the booster pump deal. I had a Mars HP (Booster pump) which the pool builder said would handle the tiger flex line underground. It hasnt faired well, blew the line 3 or 4 times now under my cabana. He gave me an Aquabot Turbo and its way better then the Mars ever was. I was happy with the Mars until I started using the robot. Not to mention that booster pump is LOUD!!!!! At any rate I will try to get a picture up for you today. Have a big pool party this afternoon but I will make an effort to get it done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.