broken pool :(

hey all, I have been posting for quite a while as we were going to be building an intex above gorund with a full wooden deck, and we are about to "break ground" this weekend on that project, but decided to take a quick detour to look at a property that is on the market here (court ordered sale) that has a pool!

the house is in really good condition considering, but there is a cracked pipe to the pool. There is a finished concrete deck all around it, its quite large not sure of size but Im thinking 20x40.

My question is, is this pool going to be salvageable? I know it will likely need a new liner, not a big deal, but do you think the concrete will have to be jackhammered up to repair the cracked pipe??

thanks for the help

pool people are so helpful!!

i would think: yes, it would have to be jackhammered up and repaired. This may not be as expensive as you think though depending on how much concrete must be jack hammered and replaced. If you know right where the leak is, the area would be relatively small.

if the price is right, it may be worth it, sounds like a nice pool. Certainly a big one that someone shelled out quite a bit of cash for.

With no pictures or details about the actual problems ... impossible for use to estimate what it may cost to fix.

How do they know there is a cracked pipe or where it is?

true Jbizzle...

The agent only told us there is a crack in the pipe, nothing more. As a court ordered sale they don't really say much... sigh

I will try and have a closer look at the pool on our second walk thru. It was really rushed, she said there was another family coming to view and really rushed us. Not that impressed with the realtor to be honest...

When you're there next time, fire up the pool pump and equipment if the water is at a safe level. Heck, even turn it on for a bit if it isn't. See if the pump works, maybe see if there is circulation, leaks... Let it run the whole time you're there and then look at it after. Can probably learn a decent amount in a visit if they let you and they should. It's part or the house and a potentially expensive part if it needs lots of work.

whatever the problem, it certainly wouldn't stop me from buying the house. anything is fixable...but like stated above, w/o exact details it would be hard to know if you're going to get sideways on the deal.

and also like stated above...how do they what the problem is? realtors will have no vested interest in it after you close

This is more about real estate, but distressed properties go quickly if they are priced properly. If you are serious, put a clause in that releases you pending failed inspection. IG pools are mighty expensive to build these days! 20x 40 is big! Pics and Wouldn't besi skeptical the broker. If it is a good property, it will go!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we are planning to put together offer on the house right away!! If you have experience with court ordered sales, by all means please share :)

We are meeting with a realtor experienced with these types of sales, and a mortgage broker today!!

We are prepared to buy it for asking price (750,000) but we realize that it is a long shot at this point, but gonna throw in whatever we can at it!!

Wish us luck!!!! This is beyond our wildest dream home!

- - - Updated - - -

2392439_4.jpg

so there is the pool, the wood siding building you see in the picture is the pool house~

it has a MASSIVE wood fired boiler for heater. I cant believe how big it is!! It is like the size of a car!

There is a section of earth (not concrete decking) from the far end of the pool to the pool house and the realtor says that is where they think the cracked pipe is... not sure of how she knows that, not taking her word for it.

I don't think in this situation we can do much, other than pray it is an easy fix, as we can not get a pool inspector out, there is NO ONE in our town that even does pool maintence or builds... nearest one is 3 hours away!! And we need to move FAST on this deal

You shouldn't have shown this property to me, I may just have to put an offer in on it too! It's gorgeous.

As far as the pool goes, how bad can it be? I realize that's a loaded comment, but geez, look around. I'd be willing to drop a few pennies on pool reno in relation to the total outlay.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.