Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stuck cleaners

1. Back To Top    #1

stuck cleaners

Anybody else having issues with their automatic cleaner hiding out under their steps relatively frequently???
    Also - what type of steps would they be?
    Let me know, I'm just looking for some stats........

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Hi, Matt,

I think auto-vacs have a built-in mechanism that searches out obstructions and steers the vac towards them. My steps are not an issue but my auto-vac loves the ladders. It will never climb walls unless it detects there is a ladder close by.

Once it detects the ladder, it heads straight up the wall into the ladder and happily lodges itself, trying to suck the liner off the wall.

It's tricky, too. As long as I'm out there watching it, it won't go close to the ladders. I have actually tried to sneak out to the pool but it detects my presence each time and won't go near the ladder 'til I go back in the house. My kids aren't that smart!!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Dolphin likes to sit on the main drains and spin in a circle. The cleanest spot in the pool is a line between the swimout and skimmer. Seems like every time I go out to check it thats the area its doing.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

My polaris 280 gets stuck in the ladder all the time. It is such a PAIN!!!!!! We have a SWCG so all we have to worry about when we are gone for a weekend trip is that stupid polaris getting stuck in the ladder and not vacuuming anything up for a few days. I hear they make a ladder guard but i haven't researched it yet. I guess I should do that before the big summer trip.

5. Back To Top    #5

My polaris 280 "backs up" every few minutes. Which is a wonderful thing... I asumed they all did???
    Fort Wayne IG Vinyl 18x36 (22,000 G)
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
    Mount Airy, NC

6. Back To Top    #6
    My Zodaic Mars HP will occasionally get it's backup valve stuck on the hose where it connects to the pressure port in the pool but if I leave it along it unsticks itself within about 2 or 3 backup cycles. I have a fiberglass pool with built in steps and no ladders so I don's have that problem. The Mars will climb the steps and clean them except for the very top one, which is too shallow.