New pool owner; Lots of rain; 18'X48" Intex Pool, how easy to drain and close valve?

Jabo

Jun 15, 2014
Freeport IL
New pool owner; Lots of rain; 18'X48" Intex Pool, how easy to drain and close valve?

Pool at max fill line now and more rain now, help! Very concerned that if I open the drain, I won't be able to get it closed again. Anyone had to do this?

Re: New pool owner; Lots of rain; 18'X48" Intex Pool, how easy to drain and close val

What kind of filter do you have?

Do you have a filter with a backwash port? That's the usual way for draining off some water. Turn off filter, attach backwash hose, turn multi-port valve to "waste" then turn the pump back on and it just bypasses the filter and sends the water out of the pool....very quickly. Make sure you turn the pump off again before moving the multi-port back to "filter".

Or if your filter doesn't have that option you can just siphon some out using a garden hose or pool vacuum hose if you have one of those. Dunk the whole hose in the pool to fill it with water then hold one hand over one end of the hose to "plug" it and drag that end over the edge of the pool. Let gravity take over.

Re: New pool owner; Lots of rain; 18'X48" Intex Pool, how easy to drain and close val

We experienced the same issue last year - It wasn't a problem to close once we drained to the desired level. We used the hose adapter that was included to connect about 30' of garden hose to the outside drain. We popped the inside drain plug and reversed the process once we were back to the proper level.

We got 6" of rain last summer in one day. The water went over the top, where the holes for the frame are, with no ill effects. Or, if you have the stock filter, just remove the top that covers the cartridge, let the water run out, then lift up the filter to stop the flow and replace the lid.

Thanks, Beens. Simple cartridge filter, like your idea of siphoning off excess. Raining hard now, guess nothing I can do until clears, it may overflow.

Off the subject, but how do you get that info. at the bottom of your posts? I thought once I entered the first time, it would show, but it doesn't?? Thanks, again.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, PAGirl, I would never have thought of that. It will be overflowing soon with the amount of new rain today. You have eased my mind about the overflow! I am soo worried about everything yet!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much, I forgot about the inside drain plug and thought only of outside! So naive yet!

My pro series has a hose outlet on the skimmer, you can attach a hose and drain it that way in these cases. If your intex doesn't have this feature and you have a sand filter you could backwash, but it sounds like you have the standard filter. I would disconnect a hose and let it come down to under the max level, then re-connect you should be good to go!

Thanks, Waklog, don't have your feature, but did not think of just disconnecting hose to drain, thanks, no such thing has common sense when new owner :(

I've just let mine overflow too. I have a sand filter so usually I end up backwashing to clean the filter which lowers the level anyway but last week we had a pretty huge amount of rain one day and it just overflowed some...doesn't really hurt anything that I know of. If you had a through wall skimmer and the water level is too high it won't skim properly but it will still suck water in and keep things going.

If you click on the "Settings" link on the top right of the page then scroll down and look towards the bottom on the left of the settings screen there is a "my settings" link which has a link for "Edit Signature".

As long as you save it there it should go into all your posts. (Unless you post from the smartphone app 'tapatalk'. That has it's own signature settings I think.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.