Could I have iron in my water?

S1ngram

Jun 7, 2014
St. Bernise, Indiana
After reading about the nightmares people have had with iron in their pool water when filled from a well, I decided to test mine. I filled an empty ice cream tub with pool water ( this is a brand new pool, first fill) and dumped some bleach in the container to see if there was a reaction. There was no color change. No orange particles, no brown or orange discoloration...not even a flash of color.

Does this mean I don't have iron, or is there some sneaky form of iron that doesn't react to bleach?

Your experiment indicates that you have at most very low levels of iron. We can't rule out that you might have very low levels of iron which could in principal eventually build up to something which has an effect. There isn't any easy way to test for that. Still, worst case you will be able to replace water to get rid of the iron, if any iron does eventually accumulate. And most likely that will never come up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.