Tris for dinner this weekend

texasbrew

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Humble, TX
I had a butcher at a local grocery store, HEB show me a tri tip when I was looking for a steak to grill a few months back. They come in about a 2 lb piece and sell for about 10 bucks (much cheaper than a prime ribeye). I cooked them indirect with a piece of smoke wood to about 140deg internal and then sear a few mins on each side to finish. It makes a very tender piece of beef. If you can find one I would suggest giving them a try.

texasbrew said:
I had a butcher at a local grocery store, HEB show me a tri tip when I was looking for a steak to grill a few months back. They come in about a 2 lb piece and sell for about 10 bucks (much cheaper than a prime ribeye). I cooked them indirect with a piece of smoke wood to about 140deg internal and then sear a few mins on each side to finish. It makes a very tender piece of beef. If you can find one I would suggest giving them a try.

Another "Tri" user...I love them. When I lived in California I got them all the time and when I moved to Ohio, couldn't find them in the grocery store. Never really butcher shop that much but I finally did find them at Costco. I have them just about every other weekend if not every weekend. Yep I love them med-rare. Can't overcook these babies or the taste is gone! My husband likes them because they're tender w/out all the marbled fat like Rib-eye (but I like that).

Went to Costoc last night and they only had the strips. Never seen anyone else do that. I like them in the triangle steak. Guess I'll have to go back today when they restock. Mmmm Mmmmm....

I make tri-tips pretty frequently. Never done one on the grill, though. I'll have to try that! I usually roast in the oven at 375 for about 45 min. depending on size. Tent with foil, let it rest for 5-10 min. and serve with Bernaise. I use Ina Garten's recipe from her French cookbook. It's foolproof and soooo good.

Wow, that does sound good. I usually just use the following rub when I grill it:

3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, medium grind
1/4 teaspoon Accent (MSG)

Tri-tip is what made Santa Maria famous in Central California. I went to Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo (SLO) and do a fair share of grilled tri's. If I want to smoke beef, it is brisket for me.

Your favorite rub, hot (400-500 degree) grill, with a chunk of smoking wood (I like Pistaschio right now) and grill to an internal temp of 125 degrees. Flipping a few times during the cook.

Pull roast and tent for 10 mins, slice thin against the grain and enjoy. YUM

The best part, is given the Tri shape, you can please everyone with one (Or two around my house) roast. The outside is more done for those that like it that way and the inside is rare to med rare, the way I like it. I always have some foodsaved in the freezer when 6 people just drop by for dinner.

Don't laugh, it happens more often than not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.