waterco sand filter leaking repair or replace

Hello. Looking for a little advice. I have had series of problems with my pool but the latest is a leaking sand filter (water shooting out with force)

I have a Waterco T450 sandfilter (35gpm, 18 diameter) that is leaking 2/3 of the way down where the top and bottom of the filter casing join together. Water just starting shooting out today. I don't know if we just need to buy a new one of repair. The manual was not very helpful. We attempted to winterize this year by draining the filter but could not find a drain plug and could not turn the top of the filter to remove the valve area. So we had to just leave it there full of water because it was too heavy to lift. It looks like we needed a special tool to remove the top. It did not seem that the joint that is leaking should actually come apart. There is tape that went around that joint, too, although it looked decorative.

How do we repair if possible?

If not, what type of filter would you recommend we replace it with and what type of specs should I look for for my size pool? Note that my pool is above ground (but placed in the ground) and only has one return and skimmer next to each other, 10,000 gallon. The pump is 1.5 hp Hayward replaced 2 summers ago. Do we stay with sand or do a different type of filter...switch to saltwater?

If we do replace it, can we do it ourselves of it this something that needs to be installed by a professional?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi, welcome to TFP! There should not be water coming from the body of the filter, but a picture of the problem would be helpful to confirm the diagnosis. If you replace the filter and you have been happy with sand, then another sand filter would be a good choice. If you have water use restrictions then a cartridge filter would be better as they waste less water. Installing a filter is fairly easy if you are handy. Look on you tube and search the type of filter you are thinking of buying. There is sure to be a video of how to install it! Watch before you buy and see if you would be comfortable doing the installation. Most pool stores will be happy to install it for you for a fee.

My tank split this year, too...I drained it last fall, but apparently I wasn't able to get all of the water out like I thought. I have found a replacement tank for it, but was wondering if anyone has had any success in repairing this sort of damage? The split is right at the seam of the tank, along the side, near the top.

Even if there's a way to repair it temporarily while I wait for delivery of the new tank, that would help. The heat is upon us and I'd like to avoid turning my clean, clear water into a green, slimy swamp!

Any help or advice would be welcome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.