Can't keep chlorine in pool

May 27, 2013
Richland,Michigan
I bought a home with a pool last year. We ended up draining it and starting over.
We did pretty well once I got the numbers in proper range.
My pool guy said it was one of the cleanest pools he closed last fall. So yea me and thanks for everyones help.

This year I'm having trouble keeping the chlorine levels up and stable.
Yesterday I put in 242oz. and tonight zero chorline.

tonights numbers. 7/17

FC 0
PH 7.6
TA 160
CH 260
CYA 40

Im struggling to understand why since most numbers are well within range.

I have to be missing something but no idea what.

Water looks and feels great.

thx
jp

Odds are you have something organic (microbial) that is living in the pool. Most likely, it is an early stage of algae that is not yet visible -OR - you could have algae in a hidden area such as behind a light fixture or around a ladder. Both will consume chlorine.

Can you run a CC (Combined Chloramines) test with your test kit? FC + CC = TC (Total Chlorine). If CC is greater than 0.5 ppm, this would confirm my hypothesis.

I just ran your numbers through the poolmath link at the top of the page, and you don't appear to be adding enough CL to shock the pool. Use the link to double check your numbers for shock. Check the details on how to perform a SLAM procedure in the Pool School Index. Make sure you have extra CL on hand, as you will need it to maintain the shock level in the pool throughout the day/night.

Jim

Thanks for the response's. I have the tf-100 test kit.

Will start slaming tonight. If im reading the chart right I should start adding 484 oz. of liquid bleach to go from zero to a fc of 16 ?

Shock LevelAndMaintain!:fro:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Every time I read your subject line I visualize little CL molecules climbing out of the side of the pool and running away screaming.

:mrgreen:

HAH Never thought of it that way,,,:D To bad their all carrying nickels and dimes.

Added 484 oz late last night and scrub the pool didnt have time to vacuum. I hade a 12 hr day at work.

Did a quick check with the OTO test kit at 7am CL was so high it turned red instead of yellow.
at 5:30 today was back to zero.

I added another 484 oz. will have some dinner and scrub and vacuum tonight. Filter has been non stop.

PH 7.5
CL 0
TA 150
CYA 35

also going out and stock up on bleach. :)

Friday I will come home on lunch test and add CL.

Will be close to home this weekend. will test a few times during the day.

I think we have it under control. FC levels are starting to stabilize. Going to due my overnight FC test and see if it hold in the morning.

Water looks good CC is zero for the past day or so. I pulled the pool ladder and the rubber pucks or covers had some mold/algae on them not a ton
but covered. Some had a red tint..

Is there a easy way to test the bottom pool drain ? Should it be stronger or weaker then the skimmer ? Just have a feeling it could be stronger.
Their is flow at filter valve but just hard to tell.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Typical loss on a sunny day at "normal" FC levels (with appropriate CYA) seems to be 2-4 ppm, depending on whether it's sunny or SUNNY.

Losses will be higher at SLAM levels since it's more a percentage than an absolute # of ppm, so you'll be losing a lot more during the SLAM than you would once the SLAM is completed and you go back to normal levels.

If you are at slam levels you will lose a bunch during the day. At target levels for your CYA if you target the high side of recommended it shouldn't drop below the low side. Generally 2-5 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.