Chlorination, or Over Chlorination

BK

Jul 2, 2008
Hey, I read on another forum that you "can't over shock your pool".

Now, I have read that you can shock with Chlorox, other liquid chlorines or those packets of "zap it" or "shock" powdered chlorine.

Now this, if taken as gospel, would mean that you can't "over chlorinate" your pool?

Although I have been all over the 'net reading, I'll turn to this forum for the real facts.

If you are using CYA, which essentially all outdoor pools are, it is fairly difficult to use too much chlorine, but it is possible. Somewhere around double shock level for your CYA level there starts to be some slow effects on vinyl liners, and somewhere well above that there starts to be significant risk of corrosion of any metal in contact with the water.

A primary element of BBB involves the careful measureing and testing of the dosages you apply to your pool.....whether it's chlorine, acid, baking soda, etc.

Careless dosing or overdosing of anything you put in your pool will sooner or later cause you some issues. Understanding cause and effect and using that knowledge so you apply your chemistry in a thoughtful, organized manner is what BBB is all about.

So, of course, you can overdose a pool. BBB is all about teaching you not to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.