Pool Remodel - Tile install question

May 6, 2014
San Diego
I have had my much loved 45 yr old pool remodeled, it's been a month long struggle but almost complete. When tile crew arrived they began tile install until we asked about the Theroseal layer we had requested in the contract. I called contractor who called crew to stop install, take down tile already installed, put on Theroseal. Crew came back next day with wrong grout color and no water level, I was upset about the grout and they went to local store to try to get a dark grout, but proceeded without water level instrument. They finished entire tile and grout job in one day working 12 hrs. I could not see any significant issues with install until pebble finished and water put in, but now I see that the water level was an important tool that was left out. The tile on one wall is 1/2" higher on one side than the other. I can notice it now and it bothers me but job finished and not sure if this should be addressed in final payment. The contractor was not around enough at the beginning of the project to give much instruction, the crew was on their own.
I have attached pictures of discrepancy I see when water is almost at tile line during latest refill of pool water. There was a 6 day "hot start" to correct mottling issues in pebble finish, so my mind and eye was centered on that and am only now noticing tile line off on one wall. Looking for advice, would this bother anyone else or is this a small error. Thanks.

Attachments

• tile line_0347a.jpg
    tile line_0347a.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 116
  • tile line_0354a.jpg
    tile line_0354a.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 115
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Up to you if it bothers you ... does not matter what we think ;)

Personally, I think if you raised the water level by 1/2" it would be much less noticeable.

Is this enough of a discrepancy to ask for adjustment on final invoice? I am irritated that the tile crew chief knew the people they had hired on to do the tile did not have the water level device, yet they did not go back to get one, they proceeded without, the slight error could have been avoided. My contractor, maybe all contractors, seem to push their crews to rush, then they leave days or weeks with no action.

If it is bothering you, I would point it out. I have to admit that with your tile, I personally don't notice it much in the pictures - BUT it is your pool and if it is bothering you you should speak up. 1/2 inch is big. I have a 25 year old pool with busy 25 year old tile and there is one spot that is slightly (very slightly) higher than in the rest of the pool. If the water is filled to just the exact spot my eye goes to the reflection of the white detail every single time. It drives me slightly nuts. Thankfully it only hits that spot when the pool is overly full - the rest of the time it isn't at all noticeable. I would have the builder out and point it out to him and ask what can be done. Even a couple of hundred off the final bill might make you feel better about things. My recent remodel we had an unfortunate miscommunication about the tile on my steps. I ended up getting my light replaced for no charge (about $500). I would have rather not had the incident, but it did make me feel better.

This is a remodel not a new pool so the industry standard doesn't apply. I was told by my tile installer that on a new pool they bring the top of the bond beam to within 1/4". The tile is placed in reference to the top of the bond beam in a new pool.

You have a remodel. The contractor has to work with the conditions as they exist in the field. The bottom of your "coping" is not level. That is the reference line the tile installers used. What did the tile look like before? Was it level with the water? What did the joint between the tile and "coping" look like? was the top course of tile trimmed?

I think your remodeling contractor should have noticed. did he see the tile with water in the pool? But it may not have been easy to notice. I'd bring it up. But you need to understand that your coping is not level. That is the problem. The question becomes how do you work with that problem. They solved it one way. But you may not have liked some of the other solutions either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.