Landscape Ideas- Updated! HEAVY pics!

hlemon

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2008
I'm a little embarrassed to be posting these considering some of the REALLY nice pools that I have seen here. Please break it to me slowly. :lol:

When we bought our house this spring, there had been NOTHING really done with the landscaping in the backyard since the pool was installed. Just a few palm trees and tiger grass planted. I'll be really honest, we haven't even really weeded because we put it off thinking we would have started on the landscaping by now. :oops:

We have a small child and desperately need to fence in the pool and we're also in dire need of other landscaping advice because we are clueless when it comes to that kind of thing. I am going to post a few pictures to give you some idea of what we are grappling with:

The view from my back door into my yard: (Isn't the pump placement GREAT!!!) :lol:
691.jpg

These are of the yard on the left side of the pool (We put down some sod just last week)
692.jpg

693.jpg

This is the yard looking towards the right. You can see that we've busted out some concrete and have someone scheduled to haul it off. It will eventually be the home for a playset.
697.jpg

Yes, the pool is in the MIDDLE of our yard. Almost two equal sections of yard on either side of it. I am at a loss on how to fence it since we would like our son to be able to wander around on the patio AND be able to get to the future site of the playground.

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Landscape Ideas- Pictures included

I would say either fence directly around the pool with no grass area in the pool or square it off so you have landscaping in the corners. Black or white iron fence would be nice. I think the black would look better.

It sounds great to square it off but I think the round would be easier to maintain. Then you could do some color around the pool.

if somehow you could have sliding gates that meets in the middle, then you wouldn't have to worry about the swing out. The gate will have to be huge. I guess you could put a smaller gate and somehow anchor it to the concrete in the front, but I think that wide opening would be nice when you want to entertain.

Once your son gets bigger, the fence will be less of an issue.

Get a pool fence because when your child gets older you can take it off, also for parties it works great. Very easy to put up and take down. As far as landscaping your yard, it would depend on how much upkeep you plan on doing. I would start out small to see if you like gardening. Even low maintence is still work.

you've got good "bones" of a pool area to start with, 1st of all! Personally, I'd do iron fencing all the way around the outer concrete areas & do a double gate at the steps that could open up outside from the middle out to the palms, landscape like crazy with tall plants back by the fence, then pick a side of the yard for the playset, I like your round pool, the whole area has alot of potential!

You guys all have GREAT idea.

I know that we definitely like the look of the iron fencing better, but I DO like the other type of fence that is easy to take down for large parties. We host a LOT of get togethers and it would be nice to be able to take it down when the little ones are in danger.

I think I might try to draw up a sketch or two and get some opinions.

If anyone else has anything to add- feel free!

Definitely go with the baby fence at www.poolfence.com. It's really made just for safety and is a lot less noticable than the iron fences I've seen. Plus, if you plan on hosting parties, the removable aspect is really nice.

Really like your patio area with the umbrellas, etc. It's going to come out really nice!

Definetly add the fence, but I would also add some lighting of some kind. It would also look nice with some floral landscaping. If you are worried about where the pump is located create some kind of squared off wood box to put around it then landscape there as well.

Well, we are about 90% finished with our backyard project. I wanted to go with something a little more classy, but my kids won me over with their "Pirate Inspired Floridian Paradise" concept.

It took about 6 weekends and we did all of the work ourselves.

pool1small.jpg

pool4small-1.jpg

pool5small.jpg

pool6small.jpg

pool7small.jpg

This is the new view from my backdoor.
pool8small.jpg

pool9small.jpg

We built this little holder to wrangle the floats and the box next to it holds our "treasure" aka goggles, fins, etc.
pool10small.jpg

pool11small.jpg

pool12small.jpg

This now hides my pump.
pool13small.jpg

pool14small.jpg

pool15small.jpg

pool16small.jpg

This is the changing house that we made. We were thinking of actually building a pool house, but were afraid to go that far with the current economy. Instead, we built this. There are hooks inside on the bracing where we can hang our robes and swimsuits.
pool2small-1.jpg

pool3small-1.jpg

In the end, we decided that we would go with a white painted fence to match our chairs and picnic table. We also put it in with post holders instead of cement so that the fence can be easily removed in a few hours time. We still have the drop bars to add to the gates, but you get the general idea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like the idea of the post holders instead of concrete because when the kids grow up I would remove the fence as you no longer need it and that way you will have the complete view of the wonderful looking round pool.

Only thing else I would do is double face the wooden fence that is at the back of your property. That way it will look exactly like the wooden fence on the side of your yard. I hate the look of exposed 2 x 4 so get some pickets and nail them to those ugly 2 x 4.

Everything else looks great. Great creativity for your Children and also adults.

Yeah, did you make your signs or buy them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.