Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landscape Ideas- Updated! HEAVY pics!

1. Back To Top    #1

Landscape Ideas- Updated! HEAVY pics!

I'm a little embarrassed to be posting these considering some of the REALLY nice pools that I have seen here. Please break it to me slowly.

When we bought our house this spring, there had been NOTHING really done with the landscaping in the backyard since the pool was installed. Just a few palm trees and tiger grass planted. I'll be really honest, we haven't even really weeded because we put it off thinking we would have started on the landscaping by now.

We have a small child and desperately need to fence in the pool and we're also in dire need of other landscaping advice because we are clueless when it comes to that kind of thing. I am going to post a few pictures to give you some idea of what we are grappling with:

The view from my back door into my yard: (Isn't the pump placement GREAT!!!)

These are of the yard on the left side of the pool (We put down some sod just last week)

This is the yard looking towards the right. You can see that we've busted out some concrete and have someone scheduled to haul it off. It will eventually be the home for a playset.

Yes, the pool is in the MIDDLE of our yard. Almost two equal sections of yard on either side of it. I am at a loss on how to fence it since we would like our son to be able to wander around on the patio AND be able to get to the future site of the playground.

Anyone have any ideas?
    26,000 gal liner IG pool
    Doughboy with concrete construction
    Full sun most of the day
    1.5 hp pump system
    200lb sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Landscape Ideas- Pictures included

I would say either fence directly around the pool with no grass area in the pool or square it off so you have landscaping in the corners. Black or white iron fence would be nice. I think the black would look better.

It sounds great to square it off but I think the round would be easier to maintain. Then you could do some color around the pool.

if somehow you could have sliding gates that meets in the middle, then you wouldn't have to worry about the swing out. The gate will have to be huge. I guess you could put a smaller gate and somehow anchor it to the concrete in the front, but I think that wide opening would be nice when you want to entertain.

Once your son gets bigger, the fence will be less of an issue.
    16 X 34 21,000 IG Vinyl Liner
    1 1/2 Hayward SuperPump
    New Sand Filter (had cartridge - hated them)

3. Back To Top    #3

Check this out, I installed it last year no problems yet. Very kid friendly.

http://www.poolfence.com
    25x50 inground vinyl. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, autofill and Polaris 380. 400000 btu heater.
    1.5 hp Pump, Triton II Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Get a pool fence because when your child gets older you can take it off, also for parties it works great. Very easy to put up and take down. As far as landscaping your yard, it would depend on how much upkeep you plan on doing. I would start out small to see if you like gardening. Even low maintence is still work.

5. Back To Top    #5

you've got good "bones" of a pool area to start with, 1st of all! Personally, I'd do iron fencing all the way around the outer concrete areas & do a double gate at the steps that could open up outside from the middle out to the palms, landscape like crazy with tall plants back by the fence, then pick a side of the yard for the playset, I like your round pool, the whole area has alot of potential!

6. Back To Top    #6

You guys all have GREAT idea.

I know that we definitely like the look of the iron fencing better, but I DO like the other type of fence that is easy to take down for large parties. We host a LOT of get togethers and it would be nice to be able to take it down when the little ones are in danger.

I think I might try to draw up a sketch or two and get some opinions.

If anyone else has anything to add- feel free!
    26,000 gal liner IG pool
    Full sun most of the day
    1.5 hp pump system
    200lb sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Definitely go with the baby fence at www.poolfence.com. It's really made just for safety and is a lot less noticable than the iron fences I've seen. Plus, if you plan on hosting parties, the removable aspect is really nice.

Really like your patio area with the umbrellas, etc. It's going to come out really nice!

8. Back To Top    #8

Definetly add the fence, but I would also add some lighting of some kind. It would also look nice with some floral landscaping. If you are worried about where the pump is located create some kind of squared off wood box to put around it then landscape there as well.
    Artificial Palm Trees and NEW Palm Tree MAILBOX- http://www.xtremelytropical.com -- Get your mail delivered in the "tropics" and create your own backyard tropical oasis with your own artificial palm trees!

9. Back To Top    #9

Be sure you get aluminum "iron" fencing. It looks like iron but is made from aluminum. Iron rusts, aluminum doesn't.
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: Landscape Ideas- Updated! HEAVY pics!

Well, we are about 90% finished with our backyard project. I wanted to go with something a little more classy, but my kids won me over with their "Pirate Inspired Floridian Paradise" concept.

It took about 6 weekends and we did all of the work ourselves.

This is the new view from my backdoor.

We built this little holder to wrangle the floats and the box next to it holds our "treasure" aka goggles, fins, etc.

This now hides my pump.

This is the changing house that we made. We were thinking of actually building a pool house, but were afraid to go that far with the current economy. Instead, we built this. There are hooks inside on the bracing where we can hang our robes and swimsuits.

In the end, we decided that we would go with a white painted fence to match our chairs and picnic table. We also put it in with post holders instead of cement so that the fence can be easily removed in a few hours time. We still have the drop bars to add to the gates, but you get the general idea.
    26,000 gal liner IG pool
    Full sun most of the day
    1.5 hp pump system
    200lb sand filter

11. Back To Top    #11

You did a fabulous job and it. Great thinking with adding something to contain all the floats and goggles.

12. Back To Top    #12

I LOVE it! What a kid-friendly and great idea! Very creative.
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

13. Back To Top    #13

Oh my goodness, you wouldn't know it was the same place. You all did a great job. What clever ideas.
    Thanks for sharing your pics.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm sure you can guess MY favorite sign!!!
    very fun!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

15. Back To Top    #15

Love it!

Looks like nothing but fun, fun, fun

Buoy bay & the changing room are great ideas, too
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Awesome job....looks like an amusement park.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

17. Back To Top    #17

Where did you find all your signs and goodies?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

I like the idea of the post holders instead of concrete because when the kids grow up I would remove the fence as you no longer need it and that way you will have the complete view of the wonderful looking round pool.

Only thing else I would do is double face the wooden fence that is at the back of your property. That way it will look exactly like the wooden fence on the side of your yard. I hate the look of exposed 2 x 4 so get some pickets and nail them to those ugly 2 x 4.

Everything else looks great. Great creativity for your Children and also adults.

Yeah, did you make your signs or buy them?
    Tom

18 x 36 Grecian Polynesian Fiberglass Walls with Concrete bottom - 3 ft to 9 1/2 ft. deep -
    Hayward Variable Speed Super Pump SP2600VS 1 1/2 True HP,Hayward sand filter S200, and Hayward auto clorinator. Hayward 250,000 natural gas heater. PoolKeeper automatic water leveler. Loop Loc Ultra Solid Safety Cover. Hayward Color Logic 12 volt light. Dual Pool Deck Jets.
    Polaris 380 auto cleaner. Trouble Free Test Kit TF-100.

19. Back To Top    #19

I love all the whimsical details... it makes the pool area exactly what it is intended to be when you have kids... safe and FUN!!! Wonderful!
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Somebody in the family must be a teacher, I'll guess.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast