Setting of automated Jandy valve/Spa

Sep 16, 2012
I need some help setting up the suction and return on my spa. I have the automated valves and in the past, I bumped the switch on the spa suction to about 1/8-1/4 open and moved the switch to center/off. I then did the same on return to match the suction or add more to overcome the suction. Then moved the switch to center/off. Why did I do this? I found that with the suction closed and the return overfilling the spa and over the spill way that the bottom of the spa collected stuff and since there was no suction the bottom became dirty. Am I doing this wrong?
I had a pool guy over today and asked if he could set the cam on the shaft to where the switch would be in the on position but the valve would be somewhat open to allow a transfer of water through suction. He said the shaft cam would not work that close and the first position would allow too much suction and drain the spa.
What's the proper way to do this setup?
Buck

The Intermatic cams can be set in any position, not sure if the Jandy are different :scratch:

Generally it is not a good idea to do what you are suggesting as there is the off chance you could end up pulling more from the spa than returning to it. You must have automation, so why not just set it up to run in spa mode for a short period every day to such the debris out? And then run in spillover mode like normal the rest of the time.

That sounds reasonable to do. My next thought is that the heater is set to come on with the spa automatically, isn't it? If so, not a big deal, but would say 15 minutes a day be enough to accomplish what I want to do?

The Intermatic cams can be set in any position, not sure if the Jandy are different :scratch:

Generally it is not a good idea to do what you are suggesting as there is the off chance you could end up pulling more from the spa than returning to it. You must have automation, so why not just set it up to run in spa mode for a short period every day to such the debris out? And then run in spillover mode like normal the rest of the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.