Is there any way to make a shallow end in an above-ground?

Pleakpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2007
Pleak, Texas
We have a 24' above ground. 54" deep. Our daughters are 3 & 5 and are mildy vertically-challenged. So while inthe pool, they live on floats, rings, noodles etc since they can't touch bottom. We went camping about 3 weeks ago and our daughter got to wade around in the lake and loved it. Now she really wants to be able to touch bottom and walk and jump, etc in the pool. Since we really don't want to lower the water level (and can't due to skimmer), is there any product that could we could put in the pool to raise part of the floor and make a shallow area? Some sort of platform?

Anybody have any good ideas?

Some of the public pools in our city use platforms for the small kids to stand on during swimming lessons. The frame is built from PVC piping and I think the floor is just a sheet of plywood or plexi glass. They aren't very big...maybe 4' x 4', and they just drop them into the pool for the kids to stand on when needed. They make them so that 3 of the sides have railings to keep the kids from falling off. Sorry don't have any pictures.

As I suggsted in another thread, you could buy a plastic outdoor patio table and cut the legs down and use that for the kids to stand on. Although, I think Northcountry's platform sounds sturdier. You could make the actual platform out of Starboard, it's a product used in the marine world for boats. From what I understand it's like plywood, except made out of plastic instead of wood. You could also make the platform area out of Trex or a similar product.

HTH,
Adam

I have the same issue pleakpool.

Launboy gave me the idea for sinking the table in the pool.

I think there would be a real maket for someone to invent a "beach or sunning" type platform that you could install in your vinyl pool.

Thanks for the replies - I think this weekend, I will poke around in the stores and see if I can find a plastic table that will work. If not - I like the PVC idea also.

hlemon - saw your thread on beach steps after I posted this one.

Thanks for the PVC idea. I have been thinking about something like this for my two kids (3yo and 2yo). Gonna try and make a PVC frame and sew a nylon cover streched between the two outer supports.

riccog125 said:
Thanks for the PVC idea. I have been thinking about something like this for my two kids (3yo and 2yo). Gonna try and make a PVC frame and sew a nylon cover streched between the two outer supports.

Boy that almost sounds like it could be fun :-D An underwater trampoline! You'll have to post some pics if it works out.

I saw this while looking at a person lift for pools...

tottler-training-dock-026.jpg

I think it would be a good design to base your platform off of if you end up building one.
Here's a link to the site...http://www.aquacreek.com/toddler-training-platform.htm

HTH,
Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.