Slam photos

Thank you JVTrain

- - - Updated - - -

Now I'm not questioning the antics or saying they don't work or anything but, 80 bottles of bleach just seems slightly over the top. Why doesn't a pool company put 80 gallons of chock in the pool when they come out?

Thank you JVTrain

- - - Updated - - -

Now I'm not questioning the antics or saying they don't work or anything but, 80 bottles of bleach just seems slightly over the top. Why doesn't a pool company put 80 gallons of chock in the pool when they come out?

Because if you dump that much chlorine into a pool in one shot it would likely damage the pool lining and the equipment (pump, fittings, etc.) not to mention that it would throw the pool's chemistry so far out of whack as to make it crazy hard to ever get back to normal again.

You can spend a hundred bucks on bleach and actually clear your pool with purpose or you can spend that and more at the pool store and maybe fix it, maybe change nothing or maybe make it worse. I'll take TFP over maybes any day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It is all written out and explained in Pool School and it has been explained to you by multiple members. It is time for you to take some responsibility and learn what you have been told. I am beginning to wonder if you are intentionally trying to waste our time.

Jbizzle there's no reason to be rude I was simply asking a question as to why we use so much bleach but the pool company doesn't use that equivalent in shock. And for your information, I have read pool school, multiple times actually. I'm still waiting on my test kit to arrive so that I can even begin to understand what it is that I'm going to be doing. So don't go around accusing people of untrue things when all said person is trying to do is understand everything. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pool "shock" is (for all intents and purposes) bleach, it's just in a higher concentration. Sodium Hypochlorate is the chlorine-containing chemical in both bleach and shock. There is less sodium hypochlorate in bleach so you use more to get the same effect. Bleach is just cheaper (sometimes) and easier to come by at any retail store.

I wouldn't judge any method against a pool store's method or advice. The amount of things they say/do incorrectly is astonishing for being "in the business" of taking care of pools.

Pool "shock" is (for all intents and purposes) bleach, it's just in a higher concentration. Sodium Hypochlorate is the chlorine-containing chemical in both bleach and shock. There is less sodium hypochlorate in bleach so you use more to get the same effect. Bleach is just cheaper (sometimes) and easier to come by at any retail store.

I wouldn't judge any method against a pool store's method or advice. The amount of things they say/do incorrectly is astonishing for being "in the business" of taking care of pools.

I agree. I had to learn this the hard way after a company racked up a $1000 bill and we're back to where we started in the first place. They never got the pool to a point where I COULD clean it up and maintain. I'm going to go the TFP route I just didn't know why pool companies don't take drastic measures like this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tend to agree. A pool store's bread and butter are in the chemical sales. Which is probably why they aren't too interested in explaining the problems created by a high CYA level because as far as they are concerned the more you have to spend on chlorine, flock, algecide, etc. the better.

Also note that chlorine + water is basically how you make Hydrocloric Acid and the amount of chlorine to water ratio determines what the concentration of that acid is which is why you do not just go ahead and add in 50-100 gallons of bleach/shock/whatever into the pool all in one initial dose. If you did, you could easily push the concentration up to the point where the over-chlorinated water (ie. now essentially weak HC acid) could corrode gaskets, fittings and metal parts inside of your equipment as well as potentially damaging your pool liner, tile and grout (for pools that have those).

Oh! Question! How do I measure my pool? It's shaped like a puzzle. I'm going to have to do pool math to find out how many gallons it is, right now I'm going off a guesstimate. A pic of my pool is my avatar photo. Any insight on how to measure an irregular shaped pool?

Jbizzle there's no reason to be rude I was simply asking a question as to why we use so much bleach but the pool company doesn't use that equivalent in shock. And for your information, I have read pool school, multiple times actually. I'm still waiting on my test kit to arrive so that I can even begin to understand what it is that I'm going to be doing. So don't go around accusing people of untrue things when all said person is trying to do is understand everything. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did the pool company's chlorine levels and chemical program work out for your pool? Not well, right?

The problem with the TFP method (from the perspective of a company providing pool service, anyway) is that it is labor intensive. You have to check chemistry and make additions several times per day. It's *a lot* cheaper (for the company, not the pool owner) to just go nuclear once and sort out the problems *that* causes on another service call (or 5).

Relax. It's a process. It takes time. 80 gallons of bleach may be quite a bit more than it takes your pool or it could be about right. My back of the envelop, rough rule of thumb for bleach on hand to start a slam would be enough to add about 100 ppm FC to your pool. (about 35 jugs of 8.25% in your case). That should be enough to raise to SLAM level and consume 10ppm FC per day for 7-8 days. Assuming you don't have some weird problem like bacteria converting CYA and other such stuff but we'll see once your test kit gets in and the process gets started. ;)

Oh! Question! How do I measure my pool? It's shaped like a puzzle. I'm going to have to do pool math to find out how many gallons it is, right now I'm going off a guesstimate. A pic of my pool is my avatar photo. Any insight on how to measure an irregular shaped pool?

Try this:

http://www.pentairpool.com/support/calculators/pool-volume-calc/poolcalc.htm

I'd do your pool as basically two separate calculations for square/rectangles and add the results together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.