CH test question

Jul 20, 2013
Good afternoon!

We are just setting up our 15ftx42 inch AG pool with SW generator. We are doing our testing for the first time this season and we can't remember if we are doing the CH test properly. So far, the only thing in our pool is salt and CA (cyanic acid) dissolved via a sock. We are doing the CH test by the instructions given with the test kit (3 drops x10). The results are coming up as 30 and we see that the ideal is 220-350.

For some reason I feel like the instructions did have an error on them, but I can't be sure. Does anyone know what's going on here? Help!

EDITED:
I'm just now seeing that the CH directions on this site are different than what is on our laminated sheet that came with our kit. ?

Okay, will give this one a whirl. Since it is vinyl should I even worry about testing it?

Another question! I'm getting a TA level of 30. I see that it should be between 100 and 120. I'm not seeing what I should be doing for this. Our pH is a little low at 6.8. Actually, I'll go ahead and post all results. I'd love any wisdom you could share!

pH 6.8
Chlorine 5
FC 6.5
CC 0
TC 6.5
TA 30
CYA 50

You are right! I'm translating my husbands notes it's FC 6.5, CC 0, TC 6.5

I'm getting confused. To change the TA I'm not sure what to do. I'm entering this into the Pool Math calculator and nothing is coming up. The same for FC -nothing is popping up what to add.

So I need to up the TA, TC, and pH, correct? I just can't get the calculator to work for some reason. Maybe it's the user, I could use another cup of coffee... What do I need to add here?

You have to set up PoolMath for you specifics:

Set "Suggested Goal Levels" (yellow row at the bottom of the table). Set to TroubleFreePool.com, Vinyl, SWG

Set "Now" values going down the left column. Make sure you set size at the top. If you did not specifically add borates set to zero.

Set "Target" values

I closed out my browsers and restarted and the calculator is now working. Phew! Thanks for bearing with me. One more question--because we are raising the pH and TA -what is the best way to do this since, from what I understand raising TA will raise the pH. Should we just start raising the TA and wait to see what the pH does so it doesn't raise it too far?

We also have some 100% sodium carbonate someone gave us. Can we use this in place of baking soda or should we just stick with baking soda (which reads sodium BIcarbonate)

You can use the "Effects of adding chemicals" section at the bottom to see the effect of adding chemicals (e.g. if adding baking soda for TA, it will also show you how much it will increase pH)

Sodium carbonate is washing soda. This will increase pH and TA together, so it is fine to use. Use pool math to figure out the effects of adding it. You don't want to overshoot pH or TA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's my recommendation, and you can double check using PoolMath to make sure you understand how this works.

Set 4,000 gallon pool, pH=6.8, TA=30

Target pH=7.4 (Aim low so we don't overshoot)

PoolMath says 12oz Washing Soda.

In the "Effects" section enter 12oz Washing Soda, PoolMath says (in addition to raising pH) it will raise TA by 21 for a total of 51.

That gets you most of the way there, as you should be targeting 60 or so.

Also, once the SWG is going you will typically see pH rise.

That's perfect! I couldn't wrap my head around one chemical raising the other and trying to get them both in the right spot without going over. When it says 20 oz is that weighed or measuring cup?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.