BBB Method

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
Did I miss something or what, but why are we no longer using the BBB method?

I got it from this post

Congratulations on your up coming pool ... but, please do not buy chemicals before you need them. This is why we no longer use the BBB term. Odds are you will never need to use the borax or the baking soda. So, you may end up just having to use them in your laundry and refrigerator.

You can certainly buy stabilizer (fill water has none) and bleach though.

BBB stands for Bleach, Baking Soda, Borax. Many of us (including me) never use any of them.

• Bleach is to raise FC
  • Baking soda is to raise TA
  • Borax is to raise pH

With my SWG:
  • I never add bleach
  • TA is fine and never needs to be raised
  • pH constantly rises and borax is never needed

Why call this method by a name derived from chemicals that many never need.

I think it should be called the "Do your own testing, understand the effects of adding chemicals, understand the CYA/FC relationship, always maintain proper FC, don't add stuff you don't understand, don't trust pool store advice, don't trust pool store testing" method, but it doesn't really have a ring to it.

Only the name changed from the BBB method to TFPC method. It changed because many people never need to add baking soda or borax, yet many new people were stockpiling quantities of both or dumping them in blindly thinking they were some magic pill that would instantly clear a swamp and make the pool maintenance-free.

The thing is many people are always fighting rising TA and rising pH so never or almost never have need for the Baking Soda or the Borax, and as Richard said the newbies would go out and stock up on bleach, borax and baking soda before ever testing their pool water and learning its trends.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.