Paging Salt Experts - Excess Hydrogen Production???

Feb 20, 2008
Here's the scenario:

Commercial outdoor pool - small maybe 30k. Pool and spa just renovated and converted to salt with controllers. Spa works fine.

Pool system produces lots of Hydrogen, resulting in -mV ORP and struggles to keep up with demand I assume because the hydrogen is reducing the chlorine.

I've seen this before, but have always found it to happen in low pH or high phosphate scenarios. This pool had high phospates but they have been removed and the pH is fine.

All other water chemistry parameters one would normally test are fine, and the spa right next to it with virtually the same water runs fine.

Any of you salt pros have a clue what else to look for that might cause increased hydrogen?

TIA.

There are a couple of approaches that I know about, but none of them are easy.

One option, if you have more than one SWG cell, is to run one, or more, cell(s) always on and the remaining cell(s) on the controller. The always on cells should maintain hydrogen saturation and the ORP reading will again track the chlorine level. Even though ORP will be much lower than normal, it will still go up when chlorine goes up and down when chlorine goes down.

Various changes to the plumbing, often completely impractical, can sometimes help. Shorter return lines under lower pressure seem to improve things somewhat.

I have heard of devices that can remove the dissolved hydrogen from the water entering the ORP test cell, though they seem to be expensive. Alternatively, hydrogen gas can be introduced into the water prior to the test cell to achieve saturation level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.