SWG not working....now what?

May 30, 2013
Chattanooga TN
We are house sitting, again, and this time the SWG just went out. We are waiting on the home owner to get us the warranty information so we can deal with it but in the meantime can we shock it and treat it as we would a normal chlorine pool? It's now a lovely shade of green and has no chlorine left but I didn't want to do something that would make the situation worse in the long run. Thanks!

Chlorine is consumed and needs to be replenished daily. If the SWG is not working you should be adding chlorine in the form of bleach/liquid chlorine daily.

Assuming the owners had the pool balanced properly for SWG, CYA is in the 60-80 range. You do not want to use pucks or granular shock because you will be adding CYA, which will make things worse.

How are you testing?
Can you post numbers?
Did FC go to zero?

Chlorine is consumed and needs to be replenished daily. If the SWG is not working you should be adding chlorine in the form of bleach/liquid chlorine daily.

Assuming the owners had the pool balanced properly for SWG, CYA is in the 60-80 range. You do not want to use pucks or granular shock because you will be adding CYA, which will make things worse.

How are you testing?
Can you post numbers?
Did FC go to zero?

We've been here at the house for the last month and we had it perfectly balanced with the SWG. I'm so sad that it's not working now. I found the calculator and added the bleach but I didn't have time to find anything else (large bag of baking soda or calcium chloride (Home Depot didn't have it?)) since I have to go to work soon. I do have the muriatic acid but wasn't sure when do add that vs. the other 2 (baking soda/calcium)

They still haven't purchased a good test kit but the pool store results (yes, I know they're not preferred) are:
Total: 0.3
FC: 0.3
pH: 8.5
TA: 65
CH: 75

As will happen with a SWG, your pH is way too high. It could be much higher than 8.5 since you are at the limits of the test. With an SWG, you are most likely going to have to add muriatic acid on a weekly basis. Keep this as a part of your routine that you never ignore. An SWG is great for making maintenance easier and less frequent, but you still DO have to do some maintenance, at least on a weekly basis.

Your FC is way too low, you need to get some bleach in there immediately.

Please post as much information about the pool as possible. How many gallons, is it plaster/fiberglass/vinyl, etc.

Why didn't the pool store give you the CYA test results?

Ok, if you believe those numbers you don't need baking soda; TA is fine at 75 for SWG.

pH is VERY high and may be higher since that is probably max for the test. Use muriatic acid to bring pH down.

CH?!?!?! Is this a vinyl pool? If this is a plaster pool that is crazy low to the point of being unbelievable. Also CH doesn't just disappear without a major water replacement, and in fact tends to build up. Have you done a drain and refill recently? You said you had it "perfectly balanced". What does that term mean to you? This is why we don't like pool store testing. If we believe the pool store testing and this is a plaster pool you have to get CH up STAT, but if it was already balanced then CH should still be there.

I have no idea about the CYA results and I'm picking up extra hours so I can buy a decent kit myself. I'm kinda tired of this guessing game. I put 128 oz of bleach in just now and will pick some more up tomorrow when I get to Costco, where the big bag of baking soda is. The SWG is not working now and likely will be out the rest of the summer so I'm trying to get it converted to a chlorine pool and get it straight. Right now it's a lovely shade of grass green. In only 3 days. :-/

15,000 gallons. Vinyl liner. Sand filter (not sure on size).

The pool store suggested the cleaning tablets but I nearly choked at the price so I came back here.

I'll be honest. The only time this pool is straight is when we are here. The owner doesn't test it. He just randomly tosses chemicals in it when it gets cloudy or green so I'm doing the best I can to learn the other side of the chemicals since the SWG is not an option right now.

I apologize if I don't provide the right information, or amount of information, the first time. I'm trying. :)

As I said in my last post, you don't need baking soda.

It the absence of a test kit why don't you try a different pool store. Try to find one that doesn't use strips and tell them you got some suspect results from another store and see if you get some better numbers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I finally got my test kit.
FC = 0
pH = 7.2
TA = 50
CH = 80
CYA = 52

It's blue - no longer green. While waiting on the kit I put bleach in daily until it turned blue again and then just left it filtering.

I used the calculator and added the recommended bleach but haven't done anything else yet.
It recommended 11lbs baking soda and 25lbs calcium chloride.
The water is still a bit cloudy. I can see the bottom of the shallow end clearly but not the deep end.

For vinyl liner forget the calcium; low is fine.

For SWG keep TA low too. If you bring it up at all only do 10 or so. TA plus aeration equals pH rise and SWG equals aeration.

Your big problem is FC. FC! FC! Why are you at zero??!!! You should be SLAMing. That means bringing FC up to shock levels as frequently as every HOUR!! Read the article in pool school about the SLAM process. Then read it again. Then DO IT!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.