Change to Salt or no??

You can switch to a SWG if you want. Members of this forum are about evenly divided between using SWGs and not.

AquaRite is a good brand. I don't recommend getting an IntelliChlor unless you also have a Pentair automations system. Without the automation system the user interface is very limited compared to other brands.

Salt is still a chlorine pool. The only thing that changes is the salt in the water allows the generator to create chlorine for you instead of adding bleach. Unless you have stone for a pool deck, I'd go for it. I did last year and I'm super happy having nearly automatic chlorine intead of buying bleach. I went pool pilot nano+, installed it myself and I'm very happy with the results. Get a cell that has the twice the capacity of your pool so it only runs at 50% instead of 100% duty cycle- so for you a 50-60k cell.

If you are looking for convenience a SWG is a good solution, if you think it will be cheaper to operate you may be disappointed as the initial cost of the system and occasional cell replacement will make it a wash at best in my experience. I switched to a SWG five years ago and have been happy since, however I travel regularly and my pool is not maintained while I’m away, I have been gone for as long as 12 days and returned to a perfectly clear pool that only required minor adjustments.

I travel a lot too but for me I couldn't justify the cost of an swg due to replacement costs of the cells. So I went with a stenner CL dosing pump solution instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the prompt replies..... I am thinking of the Aqua Rite Pro... prices vary greatly....
One ???? is there a down time for the pool in switching? Meaning my pool chemistry is perfect right now, and if I add 600 lbs of salt, and install the SWG will I loose the chemistry in the water?

Thanks again

There should be no reason to "loose" (sic) your chemistry.

You can add salt up to manufacture recommendation at any time. This will not affect anything else.

When you are ready to turn on the SWG, add CYA to bump up to 60 -70.

That's it. Of course this all assumes that you are maintaining FC properly and keeping pH in range in the mean time. Don't let algae get a toehold and then try to fix it with the SWG.

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed that when comparing cost of SWG vs chlorine, no one seems to consider the value of their time into the equation. I personally feel that the time I would spend lugging bleach bottles around plus daily FC additions tips the balance waaay in favor of the SWG.

I travel a lot too but for me I couldn't justify the cost of an swg due to replacement costs of the cells. So I went with a stenner CL dosing pump solution instead.

You should see how much chlorine I was buying and carrying home to maintain FC in a 44,000 gallon pool in Texas. It was simply too much effort. I thought a Liquidator would help maintain FC when I'm gone, but it was only good for about 4 days. And, still, there's all that carrying of bottles...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It may or may not be an issue. There's been lots of discussion of it here. Seems in Texas, we have more likelihood of etching of the stone. I don't know if you will have the same issue there in NY or not. But, here in Texas, some have it, some don't. I don't have stone around my pool so I can't give you any experience comments.

You should see how much chlorine I was buying and carrying home to maintain FC in a 44,000 gallon pool in Texas. It was simply too much effort. I thought a Liquidator would help maintain FC when I'm gone, but it was only good for about 4 days. And, still, there's all that carrying of bottles...

This is of course highly situational: my pool is about 1/3 the size of yours and our amounts and intensity of sun light are different. I need 3 quarts a day to maintain my pool's FC in the summer and less than 1/4 of a qrt (1 cup) per day in winter. So for me the SWG didn't cost justify.

It may or may not be an issue. There's been lots of discussion of it here. Seems in Texas, we have more likelihood of etching of the stone. I don't know if you will have the same issue there in NY or not. But, here in Texas, some have it, some don't. I don't have stone around my pool so I can't give you any experience comments.
RobbieH
Thanks for the reply
All of my pool coping is something called Westchester stone, which are pretty good size stones, and we just put in a large Paver patio butting up to that, to play safe it sounds like i should not go the Salt route

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.