Pentair Superflo Standard Efficiency vs. Energy Efficient and Install Question

JB426

Jul 23, 2008
I think I'm going to replace my 1 HP Anthony pump with one of the following 3/4 HP pumps in bold below. Is the difference pretty straightforward, just that one is more energy efficient? I see that the SFHP for the energy efficient 3/4 HP pump is 1.25 which is the same as the standard efficiency 1 HP pump. The energy efficient pump is slightly more expensive. I know it would be beneficial to go with a 2 speed pump but being that my pool is only open for about 4 months a year I'm just going with a single speed. Which one would you guys go with?

From Pentair:
ENERGY EFFICIENT SINGLE SPEED
Pump: Pentair Superflo 348022
Voltage: 115/208-230
Full Load Amps: 8.8/4.5-4.4
HP: 3/4
SF: 1.67
SFHP: 1.25
Curve Key: F

Pump: Pentair Superflo 348023
Voltage: 115/208-230
Full Load Amps: 11.2/6.0-5.6
HP: 1
SF: 1.25
Curve Key: G

STANDARD EFFICIENCY SINGLE SPEED
Pump: Pentair Superflo 340037
Voltage: 115/230
Full Load Amps: 10.8/5.4
HP: 3/4
SFHP: .95
Curve Key: F

Pump: Pentair Superflo 340038
115/230
Full Load Amps: 14.2/7.1
HP: 1
Curve Key: G

Now one more question. Since these pumps come with unionized fittings would there be any reason to install a separate union before the pump connections? I don't know if I have room to do that anyway but would like to do it the right way. Thanks.

You'd be saving about an amp with the EE model, so that's almost 20% vs the non-EE one. I just recently installed a Pentair EE Sta-rite Supermax, also 3/4 HP, which has a lower SF (around 1.25 I believe) vs the one on your list, draws 5.x amps (and it's working very well). As for adding an extra union I doubt you'd need to - assuming the Superflo comes with the same type fittings as came with mine, they have flat ends that seal against the pump with rubber gaskets, so if you need to remove the pump you can just unscrew the outer piece and then slid the pump out without having to move either pipe. You just need to have enough room on one side to be able to do this. I was concerned about how the 2" pipes would attach to the pump, turned out to be a non-issue.

I would go with a two speed but I'm trying to save some money now and I can't find a two speed for close to $300, which is what I can get the EE Superflo. I know in the long run it would make sense. My electricity rates are .12 per kwh, so I'm not sure how that compares. The pump on there now is a 1 HP that draws 14.2 amps. So if I go with the 3/4 HP EE Superflo that draws 8.8 amps that would save me money as well, about 38% less, so fairly substantial.

Thanks for the info.

The best I've seen a dual speed is around $400, so yes, more up front.

Assuming 4 hours a day run time, 6 months a year, your annual electrical savings with a two speed would be roughly $40/year. The savings would be larger if you have a longer run time or a longer pool season. With these assumptions, the two speed would pay back in under three years, which is good. But that doesn't help if you can't afford the initial investment.

I'm in New Mexico and we only have the pool open for a max of about 4 months per year. So it would take a little longer to recoup the cost but I hear you. I found the Jandy FloPro FHPM 1.0-2SPD for $348 which seems like a great price but I don't think it comes with a switch for the 2 speeds on the motor, so that's something else I would have to buy and install. It also seems like the Pentair is much more common, maybe better parts availability later, but I guess that doesn't mean the Jandy is not good. I'm also working with limited space, I only have about 26 inches from the inlet to the back of the motor to work with since it's up against the back wall, so I'm taking that into consideration as well. I sure wish they would have thought about that when they built the pool. I appreciate the help.

I read somewhere that energy efficient motors are 2 to 8 percent more efficient than standard motors. You really can't use the full load amp ratings to make a meaningful comparison of efficiency.

A standard efficiency Superflo 3/4 hp full rated motor running 4 hours a day with plumbing curve A and with $0.12 per kWh will cost $16.26 per month to run. For a four month season, that is $65.04 per year. Assuming an 8 percent savings, that is $5.20 saved per year by getting an energy efficient motor.

The best price I see for Pentair Superflo 340037 is $270 (at Pool and Spa Supply). The best price I see for a Superflo 348022 is $328 (at Pool Supply Unlimited). That is a $58 difference. Based on those numbers, it would take roughly 11 years to pay off the investment in an energy efficient motor. I think that is too long, so I would not bother with it. You say you can get the 348022 for $300, so that would be a $30 difference and would take about 6 years to pay off. That is right on the edge of being the right economical choice. If it were me, I would get the standard efficiency motor, assuming you do get a new pump.

But, you didn't say if your existing pump is working or not. If it still works, maybe you should keep it until it breaks. At most you will save $27 a year by getting a 3/4 hp single speed standard efficiency pump. That will take ten years to pay off. Not worth it in my mind.

My current pump, a 1 HP Anthony AR205L, is probably 20-30 years old and not working very good. It's loud and the motor was replaced last year, which in retrospect was probably a mistake. It's just not pumping water like it did a couple of years ago. I've checked the impeller and it's not clogged or dirty. I posted about some of these issues here http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-in-return-low-suction-from-skimmer-questions . So after checking everything I know to check I'm thinking of just replacing the pump.

Would it make any difference with the Superflo 348022 having a SFHP of 1.25 and the Superflo 340037 having a SFHP of 0.95? I guess either would work right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Jason, sarg, vwerz. I don't have any other water features or a spa so that's what I thought. I think I'll just get the 340037 and save even a few more bucks. Amazon has it for 278 with Prime shipping.

download_20140623_083353.jpg

Just an update. I received and installed the Pentair 3/4 HP 340037 pump Friday. Everything went fairly smooth except for a bit of a fitment issue, had to raise the gas line a little that goes to the heater. I knew it would be a little tight but got it done and it's working great. All my low flow issues were due to the old pump just not working correctly. I'm up to 10.5 psi on the filter now and have solid flow from the skimmer and main. The unions on the pump are nice to have. Thanks to all for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.