sand blowing back into pool

H

hurtback

just joined and already found some good info..but not sure exactly where to post this
now here's my problem
40,000 gal Ig
sand filter
vinyl
i think 3/4 horse pump
not sure of the flow rate
vacummed pool without basket in pump so any leaves went into filter
backwashed and when i started filter had sand ( lots of it) blowing back into pool
emptied filter and replaced 1 lateral
filled back up with the sand ( but did not put water in first, ,which i read here)
started filter ( forgot to backwash and rinse)
but after a few seconds the sand stopped and water was flowing nice
a few hours later i noticed sand blowing back into pool from shallow end return
turned pool off and went back into house
whats next?
remove sand and check laterls again?
any iddeas?
thanks
steve

Welcome to TFP!

I am afraid that you do need to open up the filter and examine the laterals again. Laterals can be broken very easily. It is quite possible one or more of them were broken by adding sand without water in the filter. Of course it is also possible that there was another broken one all along.

I did have them all out and looked at each one so I know none were broken , other then the one i had to replace.
Oh, just in case , I did cover the tube with a plastic bag before adding the sand, so I know there was no sand inside that center tube
Yea, after reading about filling the filter with water first, then adding sand, i thought i would be removing the sand again to check them.
oh well, lesson learned...
thanks,
steve

ok, here's the million dollar question...
if all the laterals are not broken, i add water and then add sand, backwash then rinse, and i still have sand flowing into the pool--
what's next?

steve

ok, here's the million dollar question...
if all the laterals are not broken, i add water and then add sand, backwash then rinse, and i still have sand flowing into the pool--
what's next?

steve

If you have one, make sure that the "Air Relief Tube" with the little screen on it is actually attached to the hole on the return side PVC pipe under the sand. Ask me how I know about this. :p

sand_filter.gif

hi,
my filter has the ' flow in and return to pool ' outlets coming out of the head which is on top of the filter ( sorry no image to show you )
nothing coming out of the sides of the filter
i also don't have a ' air relief tube' on the head, only the little glass jar to check the water while backwashing
with my filter the intake pipe goes straight down , thru the middle of the filter, to the bottom, with the 8 laterals connected at the bottom--so its just 1 pipe inside my filter
steve

When you have the filter apart, examine all of the pipes to make sure there aren't any cracks and make sure you get any required o-rings in the right place. Loose connections inside the filter that let a little sand through are not all that uncommon.

Turned filter on last night and there was a liitle bit of sand blowing back into the pool from the low end return. After about 10 seconds the sand stopped. Checked all night long till about 1am and no sand blowing back into pool. Dont understand it, but, whatever.
Now, with all the sand in the pool I should be able to vacuum up that sand ,should'nt I ???
Is it possible that the sand might damage the pump?
Just wanna make sure before I attempt this next step.
Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.