new season, new challenges

Jul 16, 2013
Bridgewater, SD
We put up our 26' above ground intex pool SWG over the weekend. It is nearly full. Last year I discovered TFP and LOVED IT....so helpful! So a little refreshing on the pool basics page was all I needed.

However, I am confused how to start my process. Our climate has been unusually cold, and we have received almost 3 inches of rain in the past two days, which typically (in the past) will turn my water cloudy. I have not added anything yet, including salt, as the water is still filling as I write this (tho it's almost full). The water will be very cold to get into to spread that salt around! Not looking forward to it.

We also had a major dust storm Mon morn, so the water has a fair amount of dirt in the bottom, and some leave debris. Vacuuming is necessary, tho a replacement piece to my vacuum will not arrive until tomorrow.

My question: do I slam the water off the bat? With or without the salt?

Any advice how to get going is appreciated. In the past, I've always started with crystal clear water that warms up as we fill the pool. That simply is not the case this time. I know it will be cloudy today/tomorrow from the rain, and the dirt/debris certainly isn't ideal. And like I mentioned....it's not going to be a pleasant experience getting in that un-warmed water...........

Hi! I'm pretty sure you will get the standard response of ......"run a full set of tests to see where you are at and go from there".

Refresh your knowledge in Pool School. What test kit do you have? Post your results and I am sure someone will be glad to help you if needed. Sounds like you will need to adjust your CYA with the new water added. Adjust the PH and start bringing the CH up. The pool calculator will tell you what you need to do from there. Good luck and happy swimming!

results; FC-0, pH-8.2, CYA-less than 20

if I'm reading my recommendations correct, my targets are FC-3-5, pH-7.5-7.8, CYA-70-80.

if I'm reading my table chart correct on what to add, I need 235 oz of CYA????? I am on my way to town for the bleach. I've never worried about the TA before....should I?

Dont sweat the TA. Its the last thing we worry about and then only if warranted by wicked pH swings.

Sneak up on your CYA level. shoot for 50% of where you want to be then test a week later (no point in doing the test sooner - it takes that long to register).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dont sweat the TA. Its the last thing we worry about and then only if warranted by wicked pH swings.

Sneak up on your CYA level. shoot for 50% of where you want to be then test a week later (no point in doing the test sooner - it takes that long to register).

I forgot to mention - get that pH down and the CL up. Until you get the CYA in the CL will burn off fast. No need to SLAM if it is clear and the CL is holding (2-3ppm loss during the day, 0 at night ... again after the CYA is in for these numbers)

I think it is a 48 hour wait on turning on the SWG after adding salt... You will want to verify that.

I don't remember ever reading to wait 48 hrs after adding salt to start the system. But I will check the manual. I did NOT do that last year, and I don't know that I did any damage......maybe my system wasn't working properly since I did have problems at the end of the summer due to lack of chlorine. I just keep learning. I love this website!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.