Using BBB method and going on vacation for a week....Any advice on leaving the pool and returning to a crystal clear pool and not a green pool. I am worried my chemicals will be thrown off in a week and I will come back to a mess. I am new to all this and have great success with all the info on here and all your advice and my pool has been crystal clear so far this season! Please help

Tammy

Hi Tammy! Welcome from another PA'er! :mrgreen:

I would suggest you SLAM your pool according to your CYA level, cover it with your solar cover and go on vacation! If it has a funky tinge of green when you get back we can help you get the clear water back. It may or may not happen. Not sure where you are but looks like SWPA where I am is going to be hot and humid with some sporatic thunder storms. You can also see if someone will come over and baby sit and feed it every other day. Me personally, I'd SLAM and cover and leave the pump off. :goodjob:

If you have "adders" but not "testers" would it make sense to figure out how much bleach you add on average per day and get them to blindly add something like that each day until you get back ?

My first thought would be to leave instructions like "if it's sunny add THIS much, if not add THAT much" :)

If you have "adders" but not "testers" would it make sense to figure out how much bleach you add on average per day and get them to blindly add something like that each day until you get back ?

My first thought would be to leave instructions like "if it's sunny add THIS much, if not add THAT much" :)

You forgot the "if you have 20 friends over while I'm gone, add THIS much." :mrgreen:

This is what I do. MIL comes over to watch the dog (and watch our cable, eat our food, swim in our pool, and sit in our air conditioning-- it's still cheaper than a dog sitter :) ) I leave jugs of bleach out labeled with the day they go in. It's OK to go a smidge heavy so long as you won't get beyond SLAM level...

This is one scenario where chlorine tablets can be useful. Get a floating dispenser and a couple of 3" tabs and let it float in there while you are gone. That will add around 10 ppm of FC, so if you start your chlorine at shock level and lose a couple ppm per day due to sun, the FC should still be good by the time your return. The pH will go down with the tabs, so you will want to leave with pH on the high side. The tabs will add around 6 ppm of CYA to your pool.

thanks everyone great advice. I leave this Tuesday so far the one Teen is doing well on testing the chemicals and adding. However my cya is off. I added CYA last week because it was high around 70 had it lowered to 30 and now its back up to 60 today anyone know of any reason why it won't stay stabilized. I haven't had this problem since I opened. All my other chemicals this morning were great.
FC 4 a little low I usually keep around 5
TA 100
PH 7.5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yes I added water now today its low again im confused with leaving for vacation and getting married next week the brain is in a fog. its been stable up until the last week and now its been yo yo back and forth between high and low? one day its 60 next day its 30 should I just stop checking it everyday?

Congratulations on your marriage!

First, take a deep breath. We'll do our best to help you figure it out.

The CYA test is the trickiest and requires the right lighting level - are you testing the CYA under the same lighting conditions every time?
Unfortunately, you really need to know your CYA levels to know your minimum FC level, so you need to have an idea of what it is.

Do you know how much water you replaced? Was it about 50%? If yes, then your CYA is about 30.

hmmmm wonder if there is something wrong with my test kit because it tested low this morning thanks for your help maybe ill a new set of supplies because all of a sudden its been yo yo backs and forth between low and high everyday and I couldn't understand why. I thought I was going crazy or something because its been stable and all of a sudden out of no where I got to bottom of the the container of reagent and now its been off everyday ill just reorder now and see what happens but I can't thank you so much for giving me sanity back knowing its fine. :) I love these forum you are all great people!

BUT at least you know enough to know that the numbers don't make sense. If you were being "Pool Stored" you'd end up with a bag of CYA in your skimmer and a crazy high number in a week !!

Being able to recognize that something doesn't make sense is learning and you're getting there. It might be where you grabbed the sample or something happened and a drop too many or too few ... how old are your supplies ?? I wrote the date with magic marker on each bottle. I keep coming across bottles from the previous owner that look almost new (can't be) but some the labels are almost totally faded away. With the new kit all the old stuff is getting tossed.

Good luck with the wedding !!!

my supplies are new I just bought them this year since I am new pool owner. I definitely thought something was off since I read everything on this forum and tried to learn as much a possible and my pool has been stable. I am just thankful for this site for when I do need advice it really helps

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.