SLAM or not?

Apr 28, 2013
GSO, NC
I think I've been true to the TFP method, haven't added anything but salt, cya, and elbow grease brushing the walls, been using my TF100 to check the FC regularly. I've still been having issues with what looks like rust on the light blue/white liner, but upon closer inspection (dive underwater and look with goggles), it looks more like green algae in a few spots. The spots it pops up are along the edges in the deep end where flat bottom meets angled walls, the hard parts to get with either the wall brush or pole vac.

I am always passing the OCLT, water always looks crystal clear, CC is always 0 - 0.5.

I have to admit, I perform my CYA test at night, indoors, under fluorescent light, and I am still "getting the hang of it". I do get consistent results though, was 60, but recently down to 50 after i manually added 3" right before massive rains brought the water level up 3" to the overflow :mad:

Any thoughts on algae popping up in very localized places...circulation issue? This is our first year with solar cover, and it seems to occur more when the cover is left on for a few days without removing.

and of course tonights test results...
FC 3.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 60
CH 25
CYA 50

I shut the SWG off, will check OCL, because the FC looks really low. FC was 6.5 4 days ago, and I thought I had the SWG set at a decent maintain level.

Hi Renegade! Seems like you have a handle on the whole TFP system. Strange how that one spot keeps "popping" up algae spots on you. The only thing I could suggest is to somehow find a way to brush those spots good and SLAM the pool so they don't come back. You gotta treat tuff algae tuffer!!

Take your cover off and let the pool breathe daily and give it a good brushing! The only time I would recommend covering the pool and letting it covered is for vacation. :goodjob:

I have to admit, I perform my CYA test at night, indoors, under fluorescent light, and I am still "getting the hang of it". I do get consistent results though, was 60, but recently down to 50 after i manually added 3" right before massive rains brought the water level up 3" to the overflow :mad:

With the way you are doing your CYA test, I would say your CYA is much higher than what you are measuring and you may not have been maintaining enough chlorine. Test it again in daylight with the sun to your back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.