Intex Sand Filter Options

Jun 12, 2014
marshfield, ma
To say that I am overwhelmed with the filter and pump options out there is an understatement. I have been digging through the forums and have digested as much as I can. My budget for a pump and filter is $200. I have found two choices that are the same price, I am just not sure if one is an older model or not. Here are the two that I found:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Intex-Krystal-Clear-Sand-Filter-Pump&i=80168&r=view&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3830313638&gclid=CNLM6rbb_74CFeI7OgodcmIA1Q

or

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Krystal-Clear-2800-Gallon-Sand-Filter-Pump&i=770632

I am confident that they will both get the job done for the pool I have, but I want to ensure I buy the best one.

Any help is REALLY appreciated

Thanks

You are defiantly on the right track. I upgraded my Intex pump and filter to the 2650 gph Intex sand filter last year. I believe it's 16 inch diameter and holds 100lbs of sand. I think they may have switched their models up a bit this year, I would shoot for whatever is currently around these specs. I'm so happy with the improvement, I wish I didn't deal with the stock cartridge filter for the 1-1/2 summers that I did.

Is the Pro Series plumbing compatible with the Intex hoses and fittings? That's what I would make sure I knew and had plan for if not.

I am actually not worried about compatibility, although I have a SWG and did not have any issues. I am actually planning on hard piping the new filter up and over the side and keeping the skimmer w/ cartridge as an additional filter. Next year when I set it up, I might think about cutting the liner and adding an intake and return.

PS my ability to fabricate parts is pretty good, I was a general contractor and have a very good working knowledge of plumbing

I checked your links. The blue one looks like the 2650 gph unit just with an old picture. FWIW "VWINNOVATIONS" has the 2650 gph pump cheaper and includes shipping. And their listing has the updated picture. That's where I bought mine and everything about the transaction went good.

The pros of the 2650 gph unit with the 16" filter are; almost double the sand capacity for less frequent backwashing and good flow for improved vacuuming. I went half the summer last year without the need to backwash (installed mid summer). I'm currently about 4-5 weeks into this season with a pretty heavy debris load and it's looking like it's going to be a while before I need to backwash. It's starting to look to me like I may only have to back wash once mid season and once at the end; heck maybe only at the end. I think the extra filter capacity is a big plus over the 14" unit.

Based on all the threads last year I came to the conclusion the bigger unit was the way to go, no regrets based on it's performance.

I saw that vminnovations, but it was through Newegg.com. The company had A LOT of bad reviews and I have been burned in the past with refurbs and junk. I came to the same conclusion that the 16" was better than the 14" even though it had a slightly lower gph. I called Intex and they told me both units are currently in production and that it was perhaps an old pic. I ended up going through Gander Mt. For the extra $20, I would rather work with a company that is well know. This should get me through the summer without an issue. I am planning to get a stand alone pump to replace the crappy one attached to the skimmer for next year.

Last edited:
They do have an A+ rating with the BBB and a 4.8 out of 5 stars with over 25000 amazon reviews and you can go direct through their website. So I'd say they've got a lot of good reviews too.

But definitely go with what makes you sleep good at night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.