low salt

Jun 16, 2014
gadsden alabama
I have a R J SERIES CIRCUPOOL salt module that keeps reading low salt.This is my third year of using this system without any problems in the past.I have even drained pool ,refilled and reloaded with new salt at the proper amounts of salt and stabilizer.Whats up?

Welcome to TFP!

There are four basic possibilities. The salt level might actually be too low. The cell plates might have calcium scaling. The cell is nearing the end of it's lifetime. Or the SWG is broken in some more complex way. The first is the most likely, do you have a strong reason believe the salt level is not too low? You can check for calcium scaling by removing the cell and inspecting the cell plates for white chalky deposits, For lifetime, SWG cells typically last three to five years, longer if substantially oversized, shorter if undersized.

How are you testing the salt readings? Are you just going by what the unit tells you? It's a good idea to test it yourself with a proper test kit/strip so you have a ball park idea if what it really is
From my understanding of what I have read the low salt can be caused by a cell that is failing or has a buildup of calcium. Have you cleaned it already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWG can lose their calibration.
My salt generator had to be recalibrated twice. It read low salt but the level was actually fine. I did not know & went by what SWG was telling me and consequently ended up with too much salt which required a partial drain.
This may not be your problem but I would test the water & not go by SWG readings alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The calibration (at least on Hayward GoldLine) corrects the average samples Salt reading on the main display as when it is initially installed it is an average of recorded instantaneous readings.
If you had the system powered up when you changed the water it would have read ~0 salt for sometime and hence would require many readings at "proper" level before the display would properly reflect the current salt level.
I discovered this after opening my pool this spring. My PB had over salted my pool at installation last year and since he had no clue how to setup the SWG properly, the display read 2500 all season.
After pumping down and topping up twice (other issues) it was still reading 2500 this spring, when the pool store was reporting 1200.
Research lead me to here, and the process to view last instantaneous measurement, and resetting the unit.
That said, the "low salt" alert on a Hayward is a separate alarm LED that reports on the "current" state, rather than the displayed average, and will illuminate regardless of "calibration".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.