yet another stenner install and timer system

echo

Jul 30, 2013
western new york
I was hoping to get a salt water chlorine generator and install it this spring until I started reading this forum. Then I decided to go with a stenner chlorine dosing system for several reasons:

-costs less than than a swcg ( no salt cell to replacein 3-5 years)
-dont need to add salt and therefore one less parameter to test for
-has the ability to raise chlorine levels at a faster rate than swcg if desired
I was able to obtain a free storage tank ( brine tank from an old water softener) here is a photo of some of the parts I used:
-Omon H5lA timer...$40 used off ebay has two seperate programs (1 for pump and one fore chlorinator) and keeps time in case of power failure
-AC current switch $35 ebay ... prevents the stenner from injecting chlorine unless filter pump is running
-DPST relay $14 ebay; because the omron timer relay is single pole. I wanted to switch both "hot" leads to turn on the filter pump
- leviton $19 lowes 10,20,30,60min timer switch this switch is wired to manually overide the timer should I want an extra dose of hypo
-2X2x1/2 pvc tee $2 lowes... to splice into my return line injection point here are some photos of the project:

* one mistake I made was due to my haste in buying the relay off ebay. I didnt realize that the coil was 110v dc... so I had to make a quick run to Radio Shack to purchase a $3 bridge rectifier Everything is installed and working well so far

Very nice. I like that you put the stenner pump inside. We don't winterize pools in TX so that would be great down here. Unfortunately the other side of the wall where my pool equipment is located is my master bedroom. I don't think my wife would go for that.

Would the level of the stenner pump in relation to the chlorine tank create a siphon effect if (when) the pump tube breaks? I'd hate to see you inadvertently siphon a few gallons into that room. Surely someone here could answer that question.

Very nice. I like that you put the stenner pump inside. We don't winterize pools in TX so that would be great down here. Unfortunately the other side of the wall where my pool equipment is located is my master bedroom. I don't think my wife would go for that.

Would the level of the stenner pump in relation to the chlorine tank create a siphon effect if (when) the pump tube breaks? I'd hate to see you inadvertently siphon a few gallons into that room. Surely someone here could answer that question.
I got lucky that my pool equipment is located on the outside wall of an attached garage located alongside my electric service panel. One thing the pics failed to note, is I did not cut the plug off the stenner pump and hard wire it. I have my timer circuit energize regular GFCI receptacle with has a little green led indicator to show when its powered up. I have had the stenner feeding hypo at night and all I have to do is glance across the garage and if I see the little green glow I know if its feeding or not.
I have not thought of the siphon effect But I think I could still put about 15 gal into my holding tank before I reach the level of the pump. You bring up a good point maybe I will raise the height of the pump a foot or two. If it does leak it would just travel across the garage floor toward a floor drain located in center of garage leaving behind a trail of bleached concrete

I too finished up this past weekend; $200 Stenner, $190 Intermatic P1353ME timer, $30 6-15P 200V Receptacle, $40 ULine 15g tank, more misc. odds and ends than I can count (Holy ****, is copper wire pricey)

Initially thought timer was bad as when first connected it would display time and not give any ability to program anything, set time, etc.; keypad was essentially 'dead'. After contacting Intermatic Tech Support they asked about the supposedly flush 'Mode' button on timer (little gray dot above PROG key). The timer shipped to me somehow got this button jammed down below the bezel (Hmmm...was that really a new, untouched unit, Mr. Vendor?). Once I dug around with a small jewelers screwdriver, I got the button popped back out so it was usable. Apparently when the button got jammed down in the 'pressed' position it freezes up all ability to program anything.

Anyway, all is well now. Thanks to all here who provided advice/direction...

stenner1.jpg

stenner2.jpg

One thing the pics failed to note, is I did not cut the plug off the stenner pump and hard wire it. I got lucky that my pool equipment is located on the outside wall of an attached garage located alongside my electric service panel.

I hate to tell you this but I learned the hard way myself, but by cutting the plug stenner voids your warranty on the entire pump. It's the one black eye IMO against the company as I love the pump and so far it's been trouble free for me after an initial issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanted to say thanks btw - This thread prodded me to finally get around to changing out the tube in the pump and boy did I barely do it in time - it was starting to seep CL. I also checked the check valve (haha) and it wasn't closing properly due to some salt buildup. I tried cleaning as per the instructions but it still wouldn't close. So I ordered some more of the duck valve things along with two more of the tubes. I'm going to start replacing that and the duck flap thing in the check valve every year now. It had been two since I installed it and that was almost a mess.

Also, I ordered a cover/boot for the pump - I don't remember these existing when I bought mine. It's like a flexible vinyl and covers the pump motor and head. Along with the rain shield it should keep it much better protected as I have mine outside and somewhat exposed. There's still a gap at the top under the rain roof to vent hot air.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.