Does it matter where you install a flow meter?

Mar 15, 2013
Yucaipa CA
Does it matter where you install a flow meter?

I'm not talking about the flow meter needing straight pipe 12"-18" before and 12" after. I'm talking about can it be between the pump and filter? filter and solar panels? gas heater and outlet to pool? As long as all the water flowing thru the system goes thru the flow meter does it matter?

skeeter

Depends on where you want to measure the flow. For example, you may not be running all the flow through the solar, so you would need to decide if you want to know the solar flow or the total flow.

As long as it is after the pump, should be fine.

The FloVis is nice because it is integrated with a check valve that is needed for a solar setup anyway.

"As long as it is after the pump" - so never in the suction line? Would that cause the suction line (or the pump) to cavitate?

If i want to measure total flow, i suspect the best location would be after the filter and before the lines that return to the pool?

Does the FloVis live up to it's advertising?

Is there an electronic readout flow meter that does not cost more than a pump?

While not ideal, there's nothing inherently wrong with putting the flow meter on the suction side if the pump. It just adds another possible leak point, but that's a minor concern.

I have a FloVis and I've done some testing, and on my system it isn't nearly as accurate as they claim. It's close enough for pool work.

If you need the check valve function then it may be worth getting it, but if you only need the flow meter part you can get a blue/white for about 20% the cost of the FloVis

Good luck finding a cheap electronic flow meter. $400 on Omega.com Is about the cheapest I could find.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.