Steve from Clarksville, TN

Thanks, I have a 28000 in ground, vinyl, chlorine, sand filter, 1.5 hp jacuzzi. I've had the pool for 10 years. My biggest issue has been metal staining. My cya level was above 200, I've got it to 120, and will try and lower it a little more. I've ordered the Taylor test kit so I can avoid taking samples to the pool store. I've started reading the chemistry section and it will take me some time to understand it. I entered the latest water test values in the calculator, and I'm trying to decipher the results. Thanks

Please put all those pool details in your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Where is the metal coming from? Well water? Algaecides with copper? mineral system? You will need to use sequestrants to try to minimize staining after doing an AA treatment if you want to get rid of the stains. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/137-metals-in-the-water-and-metal-stains

You want to ideally get that CYA down to 50ppm at the most. That is still the first step.

Todays test results, CYA 75, TC 3.7, FC 3.7, ph 7.7, TA 120, adj TA 97, TH 86
Iron 0, Copper 0
So to address my staining (it's not severe, just on steps and barely visible on vinyl side) Should I wait until my chlorine level drops to in normal range before I add stain free? It's hot and sunny here today so I feel the chlorine level should drop enough today.
I've been using the bulk chlorine I purchased from Sam's Club instead of the bags of shock. It has chlorine, algaecide, stabilizer mixed, I've been using that for years with good results. I also use the chlorine pucks. I think that was the culprit that caused my CYA levels to go crazy. But from what I've been reading on this site I will be testing my CYA level before I add any chlorine level. I think I understand that if my CYA level is good, I need to add regular Clorox bleach, that doesn't have stabilizer to maintain my chlorine levels. Please comment. Thanks

Todays test results, CYA 75, TC 3.7, FC 3.7, ph 7.7, TA 120, adj TA 97, TH 86
Iron 0, Copper 0
So to address my staining (it's not severe, just on steps and barely visible on vinyl side) Should I wait until my chlorine level drops to in normal range before I add stain free? It's hot and sunny here today so I feel the chlorine level should drop enough today.
I've been using the bulk chlorine I purchased from Sam's Club instead of the bags of shock. It has chlorine, algaecide, stabilizer mixed, I've been using that for years with good results. I also use the chlorine pucks. I think that was the culprit that caused my CYA levels to go crazy. But from what I've been reading on this site I will be testing my CYA level before I add any chlorine level. I think I understand that if my CYA level is good, I need to add regular Clorox bleach, that doesn't have stabilizer to maintain my chlorine levels. Please comment. Thanks

I stephen,
I cant comment about adding the stain remover since I have never used it and dont know much about it at all.

You do not have to test your CYA every time you test for FC. Maybe once a month or so for CYA just to keep an eye on it. For the most part, it always stays the same unless you drain a lot of water, or add stabilizer. ONce you are confident in your measuring of it, then just use that number

You are correct about adding only liquid chlorine to maintain your FC. Thats the TFPC method.
your Ph Range is 7.2 to 7.8. I noticed you are pretty close to the top of the range. Use Muriatic Acid to drop it a tad when you get the chance.

In addition to the pucks raising your CYA, that Sams Club stuff with Stabilizer is also a contributor. (stabilizer and CYA are the same thing).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support