Changing size of DE filter

May 21, 2014
Westport, MA
I recently upgraded to an EcoStar VS pump, and I was curious if increasing the size of the filter would enhance the filtering of the system. I currently have a Hayward which I believe is about 30 sq ft, my filter is approx 60 feet from the pool, and I have 1 1/2 plumbing except for the 2" which is at the pump.
I was curious if going to a 40 sq ft filter would make any difference?

Thanks

What is the volume of your pool? Add it to the signature.

Increasing the filter size will reduce how often you need to clean the filter. I have a 60sqft DE on my 18k pool and only need to clean it 1-2 times per year.
It may also lower the head loss and give you higher flow rates (not that this matters much with a VS pump).

WHOA!!! Are you sure about that volume? Is is really 18x36? What shape? I see that is the volume for a rectangular pool with an average depth of 5.5' (which is pretty deep).

If that volume is true, I would recommend at least a 60 sqft or even 72 sqft DE filter.

For a fixed speed pump, lower the head loss (flow resistance) would allow a higher flow rate and thus stronger jets in the pool. But, you have a VS pump, so you can dial in the flow rate where ever you want. Although with that smaller filter, you should likely not be any where NEAR the max speed of that big pump.

Well, depends. Why do you not like the filter you have? If it is because you are having to clean the filter more often than you like, then with your shorter season, I would recommend the 60sqft filter.

I was thinking due to the increase in size of pump, and the fact that I moved it further away from the pool that it would be more efficient than the smaller filter.... If it will not make any difference I will just leave the one I have....
Thanks for the reply...

A larger filter will do a better job, especially with the large pump if you are running at higher speeds, because the velocity through the filter material will be lower. But, if you are running the VS pump at low speeds like you should to save $, then your current filter should be "fine", but require more frequent cleanings.

You should clean whenever the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure, and that check should be done at a higher RPM (at least 2000), so you have a decent pressure reading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.