getting air with pump on high

May 26, 2014
New Jersey
Hi All,

I have a 2 speed pump that I put on high to vacuum the pool. This year I'm getting a lot of air introduced when I vacuum and I have to keep letting the air out multiple times during vacuuming. Is there some obvious adjustment I should be making to keep this from happening?

Thanks

Do you get air on high when you are not vacuuming?

Could be air leaks in the hose or the added suction pulling through the vacuum allows are to be pulled in somewhere where it is not at a lower suction level.

Thanks Dave.

I think that's the case, but I can't get the water level much higher without it completely covering the skimmer. When I put the pump on high, (vacuum or not) and look where the water initially goes into the pump where that little glass topped part is, it just doesn't seem to be able to suck in enough water. I've stopped the pump and opened up the top of that to make sure it's filled with water to start with, but as soon as it goes on high the air takes over and the level in that starts to drop. I made sure the skimmer basket was clean, but I'm not sure what else could be causing the problem.

Thanks Sminor.

You were right about that. I put the silicon on the o-ring in the pump basket and it seemed to help. Unfortunately, the on/off hi/lo switch on my pump broke right after that and it was a proprietary brand sold to me with the pool 11 years ago, so I couldn't get a new switch for it. So... now I'm the owner of a new Hayward DE filter! :)

Thanks again for all the replies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.