Old Pool

JSCarr

Jul 18, 2013
Last year my husband and I bought a house with a pool. It is a vinyl liner pool installed in the mid-1970s. I've looked around and can find plenty of information on how often a pool liner needs replacing, but not much more about other issues that could potentially crop up when owning an older pool. What are some things I should be looking out for? The liner was replaced 2 years ago, the filter is around the same age and the pump is brand new. How long is an in-ground vinyl liner pool expected to last? I assume it's not indefinite? My husband and I are interested in replacing the hideous red brick pool decking we have but obviously not if the pool is not going to last much longer before needing a major overhaul. Any insight or direction for where I could look for further information much appreciated!

PS: Pool is sparkling blue and clean 99% of the time thanks to this site and my TF test kit :) We take good care of the pool but didn't have a very realistic expectation of cost before we purchased the house. These things are crazy expensive and we haven't even had any big problems!

How do the pool walls look on the inside of the pool? Are they straight? Look okay just by glancing or are they some big issues structurally that catch your eye?

If you look at the pool and just say, Man, it's a nice pool BUT... I hate this, this, and this, about it! More than likely, it's all cosmetic and yeah, it's gonna cost some money to give her a face lift. And to be honest, if inground pools are taken care of, I feel like they can last a lifetime or more. That's just my opinion.

Do you have any pics you can share of your pool? I'd love to see it!

How do the pool walls look on the inside of the pool? Are they straight? Look okay just by glancing or are they some big issues structurally that catch your eye?

If you look at the pool and just say, Man, it's a nice pool BUT... I hate this, this, and this, about it! More than likely, it's all cosmetic and yeah, it's gonna cost some money to give her a face lift. And to be honest, if inground pools are taken care of, I feel like they can last a lifetime or more. That's just my opinion.

Do you have any pics you can share of your pool? I'd love to see it!

The walls look good, from what I can tell! You're right that there is a lot cosmetically that I'm not a fan of. Just not sure how much money I want to dump into it. The guy that opened our pool (I know I know, but don't worry no chemicals! We do that) mentioned that he had some "frustrations" regarding the pool being old but didn't specify what he meant. I know priming the pump can be very fussy sometimes but I really don't know enough about other things to guess what he could have been talking about.

The only picture I have is from the day we opened it, so don't mind the leaves. We're having CYA issues at the moment so it probably doesn't look a whole lot better than this right now to be honest, but we're getting there! At least you'll be able to see the awful pool decking I'd love to replace.

photo (4).jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.