Liquid Stabilizer vs Powder

The liquid will mix up within a few hours. But it's pricey. The granular stuff will dissolve pretty quickly in it has a steady flow of water past it and you squeeze the sock a few times. Many people report the stuff is all dissolved within a day.

One way to do it if the skimmer will get blocked by the sock
attachment.php
:

The liquid will mix up within a few hours. But it's pricey. The granular stuff will dissolve pretty quickly in it has a steady flow of water past it and you squeeze the sock a few times. Many people report the stuff is all dissolved within a day.

One way to do it if the skimmer will get blocked by the sock
attachment.php
:
I must have had the slowest dissolving CYA ever. It sat in my pool for almost 5 days and did not dissolve. Is the best route to pour it in the skimmer and not backwash for a week ?

I used the HTH powder in 4lb containers from Walmart. It was measurable to the point I aimed for in 2 days time (pump was running 24/7) fwiw.

If I pour it in the skimmer and not backwash for a week is that ample time for it to dissolve into the pool ?
IS there some reason you don't want to put it in a sock?

We recommend that method for a reason. People have poured too fast and clogged pipes with the granules, overloaded the pump and created a terrifying racket as it got caught in the impeller, had to backwash and lost it all, opened the filter later and found stainless steel hardware coated with rust...

In Pool School, it suggests putting it in a sock and setting it in the skimmer. Other alternatives are to suspend it in front of the return so the high pressure water pummels it. Other people have tied the sock to a floating toy and let it bob around.

If you want instant results, spend the extra on liquid stabilizer. If you want to pour it in the filter -- go ahead, it's your pool. We just try to offer solutions that are the least expensive and trouble-free.

Best way I've found is to put it in a sock and toss it in the skimmer. The more you knead the sock the faster it dissolves. If you go out there a few times a day and squeeze it you'll usually have it gone in a day or two. It still takes up to a week for it to dissipate in your pool. During that time it's best not to backwash as some will still be in the filter dissolving.

I haven't found a reasonably priced liquid, it's all pretty expensive compared to the granular.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pool-Basics-Liquid-Stabilizer-and-Conditioner/21697390

Cut and paste from "Pool School" : http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

CYA - Cyanuric Acid

Cyanuric acid, often called stabilizer or conditioner, both protects FC from sunlight and lowers the effective strength of the FC (by holding some of the FC in reserve). The higher your CYA level, the more FC you need to use to get the same effect. It is important to know your CYA level so you can figure out what FC level to aim for. If you don't have a SWG or problems from extremely high amounts of sunlight, CYA is typically kept between 30 and 50. If you have a SWG or very high levels of direct sunlight, CYA is typically kept between 70 and 80.

You increase CYA by adding cyanuric acid, often sold as stabilizer or conditioner. CYA is available as a solid and as a liquid. The liquid costs a lot more, and generally isn't worth the extra expense. Solid stabilizer can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so don't retest your CYA level for a week after adding some. Solid stabilizer is best added by placing it in a sock in the skimmer basket. The pump should be run for 24 hours after adding solid stabilizer and you should avoid backwashing/cleaning the filter for a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.