Best variable speed pump??

Aug 1, 2010
Columbia, SC
I have the hayward Pro Logic controller with salt system and I need to replace my pump assembly. I am looking to upgrade to a variable spped pump. What pump will interface with this system the easiest? I have a 20000 gal pool and a water feature. no polaris output or other accessories... (Not put in by my pool builder for some reason).

The EcoStar is probably the best VS to pair up with the ProLogic.

But SC gets quite a bit of lightning so you will want to make sure you budget in a surge/lighting protector. With the extra pump cost, you will probably find that the lifetime cost of the VS route is going to be much more than a simple two speed. Although you may going with a VS for other reasons too.

The ecostar is the one I have been looking at. I currently have a 1 1/2 hp single speed pump. I doubt that my pool builder really figured out the requirements on my pool. He actrually went through three pumps putting it in because he could not get them to prime. He originally had a 3/4 hp pump on the pool and a 1 hp on the waterfall.
How can I cvcalculate which pump I need with my pool size and waterfall?

How big is the waterfall and/or do you know how much flow rate it requires?

How far is the pump elevated above the water line?

A 3/4 HP pump should have worked fine but it depends on the above questions.

How big is the waterfall and/or do you know how much flow rate it requires?

How far is the pump elevated above the water line?

A 3/4 HP pump should have worked fine but it depends on the above questions.

It is a fairly large waterfall. Not sure of the flow rate. However it has always seemed underpowered. The pump is about 3 feet above the waterline.

Did the PB put in a check valve before the pump? With that elevation, he should have to help with priming.

Also, what size pipe did they use for the waterfall, suction and pressure?

Did the PB put in a check valve before the pump? With that elevation, he should have to help with priming.

Also, what size pipe did they use for the waterfall, suction and pressure?

2" pipe for everything. I put in a check valve after he finally gave up. This has helped quite a bit with priming. I am going to clean up the plumbing in general while I put in the new pump.

We are about to go to court as the water feature was never finished, along with quite a few other issues never completed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Given that the waterfall was somewhat less than inspiring even with a 1 1/2 HP pump, the VS might be a good choice so you can get some extra flow out of it and easier to optimize. But just make sure you get lightning protection.

Another option could be the Tri Star Variable Speed Pump which is specifically designed to work with the Pro Logic Controller Part # SP3200VSPND http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/literature/LITTSVS14.pdf This is basically the same as the normal Tri Star Variable Speed Pump but does not come with a controller on top of the pump as you will be using the Pro Logic to control the pump. Because this pump does not have the controller on the pump it costs a little bit less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.