GFCI Choices

Jul 20, 2013
Akron, OH
To make a long story short, I bought a house last summer with an inground pool that was installed in 1980 and it has been powered off of a 25 ft extension cord all of this time. It's scary to even look at. I decided I needed to redo the electrical for my pool.

Currently all I have is a Hayward Super Pump running on 120v. Thinking ahead, I ran a 50 amp 240v subpanel into the garage. From the subpanel to the pool house I am running (1) 15 amp 120v for receptacles and lighting, (1) 20 amp 240v for the pool pump, and (1) 40 amp 240v for a heat pump.

Should I just go ahead and install a 50 amp GFCI in the main panel that feeds the subpanel? I have heard of false trips doing this. Or is it recommended to do two separate GFCI's for the receptacles / lighting circuit and pool pump circuit. From what I understand the heat pump circuit can be a standard breaker.

It is a NEC code violation to run more than one circuit to a detached structure. The best option at this point would be to run a 240 circuit (4 wires, 2 hots, one neutral, one ground) to the pool house and then divide up the circuits from there.

The one circuit rule includes multi wire branch circuits that share a common neutral.

Well luckily my pool house is attached because it is built into the corner of the house and garage. I did ponder if I should just run the subpanel all the way out into the pool house but decided it would be better to keep the panel in the garage and just run the individual circuits through the adjoining wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.