CYA vanished over winter?

I have a TF-100 and have been testing CYA pretty regularly during the swimming season here. Last August/September I was getting CYA readings around 30. This spring when I tested, I was getting a reading of 0...it was as clear as if I was testing tap water. The test is working - I tested a friend's pool and it was reading about where I'd expect it compared to last year. There can't have been more than a 1/4 exchange of water between last fall and this spring (and that's an extremely generous estimate). I've been adding CYA slowly to bring it back up but I'm just wondering what happened to my CYA over winter? Anyone seen this before? I thought CYA was forever...

I lose my CYA every winter for whatever reason. I normally wait until i hit 50 or so to close and then open it back up around the same temp and get things rolling.

This is my 3rd or 4th season using the TFP method and EVERY year i have no CYA to start but the water is always clear and i have never had ammonia issues.

Sooo .... i just add enough to get to 40 ppm and don't give it another thought!

Thanks everyone for all the answers. I guess we'll chalk it up to the mystery bacteria. There was no ammonia smell from the pool when I opened it. It cleaned up from greenish murk to crystal clear in 48 hours - I noticed a high CC reading after my first application of 20L of 10.8% chlorine, but the second application produced clear water and no CC. All the numbers have been looking good since.

Thanks everyone for all the answers. I guess we'll chalk it up to the mystery bacteria. There was no ammonia smell from the pool when I opened it. It cleaned up from greenish murk to crystal clear in 48 hours - I noticed a high CC reading after my first application of 20L of 10.8% chlorine, but the second application produced clear water and no CC. All the numbers have been looking good since.

If you read the posts on here about people dealing with ammonia they are seeing CC readings in excess of 10 for days. From what i understand the process that eliminates the CYA sometimes results in the production of ammonia but not all of the time. We had a cold harsh winter and i closed after the water was cold. I know many people close much earlier and maybe that impacts it in some way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.