Algae and high CYA HELP!!!

My pool is a year old and during Spring lots of pollen turned the water yellow and started to have algae problems( very patchy and minimal). Leslie's suggested to shock the pool and brush which I did ...the water got clear and was fine for couple of days. I re-checked the water and CYA is 100 or possibly higher. They told me to continue to shock but my shock contains dichlor- which I read will get CYA higher.

I am draining the pool couple of feet today and refiling but if I contiue using the tabs I will continue having elevated CYA...
1. What do I do once I get the CYA within limits to keep it that way and also to keep my FAC and TAC in range???
2. Do I have options beside tabs or shocks that so not elevate CYA?

FAC 0
TAC 0
CH 220
CYA 100
TA 110
pH 7.6

In-ground/ plaster/ 16000 gallons :drown::drown::shark:

Welcome! :wave:

One question before I validate your decision to drain and applaud your understanding of the insidious relationship between powdered shock and CYA: Are those your test results, or from the store?

attachment.php

A foot note i'm in Houston where temps are very elevated ....
Results are from the store, I hyperchlorinated ( liquid ) the pool last night and today readings:

FAC 4
TAC4
CH 240
CYA 60
TA 100
PH 7.6
Copper 0
Iron 0
Phosphates 100

1. Why is my CYA double if the liquid chlorine does not have Dichlor or trichlor?
2. Today the water is clear and few sopts of green here and there.

My plan is to keep SLAMing the pool ...but I'm so scared the CYA is going to keep on getting elevated which is what got me in trouble to begin with :brickwall:

** I do have a kit to test at home but I don't trust my readings sometimes....and unfortunately I'm the designated "pool girl"

SLAMing Your Pool

How to SLAM your pool properly. 4 FC ain't gonna get you there. It's not even MINIMUM for your CYA level of--------60? Down from 100?

There---is----NO-----CYA-----in liquid bleach!

Do you have one of our RECOMMENDED test kits? You can not SLAM without a fas-dpd chlorine test kit.

Hello! I posted this in another thread but it looks like you may need this advice too.

1. Buy a good test kit and forget what the pool store is telling you. (Once you know how to test your own water you don't need them)
2. Read Pool School on this site and take in as much as you can. (It will all make sense as you go along)
3. In case your not sure..... Bleach IS Chlorine and Stabilizer is CYA. (These can be confusing at first) They are separate things. The "chlorine" you buy in the pool stores (Dichlor, Trichlor, Shock) all have CYA added in them. This is not good. You want your CYA and chlorine to be separate from each other. This is why you will buy just bleach. It is chlorine without CYA.
4. In case you haven't figured it out yet, (just kidding) This system is based on the relationship of the chlorine and CYA in your water. That's why a reliable test is imperative. Test strips and pool stores are NOT reliable. Post your test results every time you post. (It really helps!)
5. If you are not sure,seek advice. The Moderators and Senior members on this site are a great resource for information.

Welcome to TFP. Once you get going and confident I know you won't regret finding us! Good luck!

SLAMing Your Pool

How to SLAM your pool properly. 4 FC ain't gonna get you there. It's not even MINIMUM for your CYA level of--------60? Down from 100?

There---is----NO-----CYA-----in liquid bleach!

Do you have one of our RECOMMENDED test kits? You can not SLAM without a fas-dpd chlorine test kit.

I want to clarify those readings:
*** The CYA was 100 (day I posted here first time) I drained the pool 2 feet and added fresh water bringing the CYA to 30 then I hyperchlorinated the pool. FC was 12 after shocking it (yesterday)***
The readings I posted today (FC4) were 20 hrs ( overnight) post Hyper-chlorination. I noticed the CYA went from 30 to 60 so I was wondering why?

Today water is clear ans sparkly with sporadic and small green spots on the walls. I shocked it again FC 26, the pump & vacuum are running. I do have a pas-dpd

Hi Tropicalsimo! What test kit are you using? It would also help to add what type of pool you have and how many gallons in your signature. I see on your first post you said it is a 16000 gal. plaster in-ground pool. Any other info you can give us really helps diagnose your situation. Filter, pump, etc.....
Just draining 2 ft of water to get a CYA reading from 100 to 30 is VERY suspect. As I stated previously, getting good test readings are imperative. Telling us how you are getting the readings and with what testing process is also very important. WE are ready willing and able to help, but we need you to help us! Your testing results are all over the place, so we need to figure out why. Telling us that it is a plaster pool, we will need to look close at the Calcium Hardness, but that will come later..... For now, we really need to find out how you are testing and get an accurate reading on the CYA.

I see previously you have stated that your test results are from Leslie's. I realize this is difficult to understand but....... those results are NOT VALID. 9 times out of 10 they are using test strips to give you those results. I believe you are here because what they have been telling you and giving you is not working. Why trust them with the most important tool you need to get your pool straight ?

I'm using Taylor K2006, the algae has been gone completely for the last couple of days and i'm done with SLAM, the water continues clear, the overnight test was good etc...

Today MY readings are at the end of the day:
FC 1.0
CC 1.0
CYA 100
TA130
PH 7.8

I added some muriatic acid according to table to lower TA .....I will be adding chlorine later, but the infamous CYA is elevated and I understand will cancel out my chlorine faster. Should I try to dilute by adding water?

Thanks

In-ground/ plaster/ 18000 gallons
Quad Cartridge filter / 1 1/2HP pump

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you're only using liquid, how on earth is your CYA going up? Who else is adding stuff to this pool? Because someone is! :scratch:

Did you buy the chlorine from the Pool Store or the grocery store? If the Pool Store, check the ingredients. I don't know why liquid would come stabilized but just check and see what the bottle says and post your results here.

I don't think it is possible to lower CYA from 100 to 30 in an 18,000 gallon pool by lowering it just 2 feet. I had to drain almost 2/3's of my pool to go from 125 to 50. Plus with results of 100 or more you should try diluting your test sample with 50% tap water and double your results. Results of 100 or more may actually be much higher. You may also want to shoot for a CYA of 50-60 as you are in hot and sunny Houston area like I am.

You may also want to add Texas to your location. I know Jersey Village is in the Houston area but others would not and it would be helpful to them to know to give you the best advice.

You should also try to do all your CYA tests in the same lighting conditions, bright sunlight, back toward sun. Tube at waist level.

Thanks everyone, @Casey since I was using the store readings I think it was all wrong from the beginning, I don't think the CYA was ever at 30. I'm draining the pool again today and will be posting. @wellsnlisa: I will include Texas in my location.

In-ground/ plaster/ 18000 gallons
Quad Cartridge filter / 1 1/2HP pump
Houston, Texas

You're starting to learn. Keep up the good work. You may want to order more reagents for the test kit. Especially for the CYA test. I don't think the Taylor kit you have has much of that......anyone? Keep reading through Pool School. Keep testing your water and adding what the pool calculator recommends. You will get more confident and gain knowledge the more you do this. Do you want to go back to the pool store and listen to them now? LOL It's hard to understand at first that the "professionals" have less than a clue than the kid next door when it comes to maintaining a pool. They really are blindsided by the chemical manufacturers and what they are telling them and selling them.
Once you get your CYA levels under control everything will start to settle in. Keep listening to the Moderators and they will get you there! It is a process at first, but soon after you realize you can maintain your water better than anyone and for much less than buying "the stuff" at the pool store. You're doing great!!

You're starting to learn. Keep up the good work. You may want to order more reagents for the test kit. Especially for the CYA test. I don't think the Taylor kit you have has much of that......anyone? Keep reading through Pool School. Keep testing your water and adding what the pool calculator recommends. You will get more confident and gain knowledge the more you do this. Do you want to go back to the pool store and listen to them now? LOL It's hard to understand at first that the "professionals" have less than a clue than the kid next door when it comes to maintaining a pool. They really are blindsided by the chemical manufacturers and what they are telling them and selling them.
Once you get your CYA levels under control everything will start to settle in. Keep listening to the Moderators and they will get you there! It is a process at first, but soon after you realize you can maintain your water better than anyone and for much less than buying "the stuff" at the pool store. You're doing great!!

Joegus thank you!! you are so right, I do understand and feel bad for listening to the pool store for so long. I got my CYA 50 and now im doing daily liquid chlorine, still not too sure how much to add daily and what time any suggestions?

About the Taylor kit, you are also correct i'm using the second bottle and fixing to order a 2 oz bottle.

I just want to say THANK you to every one for your support , I was about to tell someone to come and fill up that hole :calm:

Your daily dose will vary day to day depending on pool use and conditions. Your test kit and the pool calculator will never steer you wrong! My work schedule varies so I usually try to add my liquid chlorine first thing in the morning or when I get home in the afternoon or early evening. I enjoy sparkling water all season long! If you lose more than 2-3 ppm chlorine overnight take notice. This is usually an indication something is up. Watch carefully and SLAM if necessary. I'm confident you will "master" this in no time and will be shaking your head and hopefully helping other pool owners that "don't have a clue". Welcome to the club. Enjoy the water!!

You'll find out that once you get the CYA Stabilized, you might not need to test it very often. I test mine about once a month, or after a heavy rain or if I have lots of water replenishment. (kids splashing water out, etc.....) You'll get a feel for this. Chlorine level and PH is generally a daily requirement. You don't want to lose control of these. Some days if I'm in a hurry and I've been adding about the same amount all week, I'll skip testing some days and just add what I added the day before. Don't do this too many days in a row! The other tests TA, etc..... I can do weekly. You'll find your own comfort level and understanding of your pool as you go along. One of our very respected Moderators Richard320 has a saying:

"Troublefree does not mean Maintenance free. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars."

Maintenance is every day, you get out of it what you put in!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.