Corinth,TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We have 2 different plumerias that we bought while in Hawaii.....about 15 yrs ago.
This year we got blooms on one of them. Does anyone else grow these? Around North Texas, we have to bring them inside during the winter.

Yes, I am growing them, too! I have three very small ones with yellow flowers. A friend gave me cuttings from her tree.
Down here, they can grow pretty large and you find them all over. They smell wonderful, don't they?

It's been a long since I planted ours from HA, so I took the following from http://www.theplumeriasociety.org/index.cfm.....

"When you are ready to plant the cutting, dip the cut end in RooTone® or other root hormone with fungicide. Plant it shallow in sand or perlite (potting soil, etc.) excellent drainage is necessary. Stake the cutting for support or allow it to rest against side of container. Water very sparingly but keep the soil moist. Place the newly planted cutting in strong or full sunlight. Bottom heat helps promote root formation and growth and can be accomplished by placing the container on sun-baked concrete. Watch for new leaf growth as your sign that roots have formed (usually 6-8 weeks). Tip cuttings may bloom the first year but these are usually flowers from latent buds already in the tip on the mother plant, Cuttings generally take one or more years to produce their own blooms."

They are easy plant here in Florida, Towney. It helps a lot to use the root hormone powder. First wet the end going in the ground and then dip in the root hormone powder. They need full sun otherwise they grow funny trying to reach the sunlight.

Do you have single stalks or "V" shaped?

Thanks. Yes they do smell great. :D In all the years we have had them, they have only bloomed a few times. They are definately adding to our tropical backyard oasis.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
737mech, You might want to check the pH of the soil and research if there is a specific pH level they "like" and specific fertilizer. Some plants will grow but not flower without being in just the right environment. I just have iris, day lilies and peonies. Pretty basic but it adds some color to an otherwise bland river rock border around the concrete apron of the pool.

I've read that they need a fertilizer that is around 10,50,10 if they do not bloom. This will be the third summer that I've had mine and last year it bloomed. I've started the fertilizer about a month ago and the leaves have darkened to a deep green but no blooms yet this year.

I have in-laws that have 2 large trees in their backyard that bloom every year, so jealous.

I've read that they need a fertilizer that is around 10,50,10 if they do not bloom.

I got some fertilizer from Calloways early this year. The middle number is 52. I attribute the abundant blooms this year to this ferilizer and having them close to our arbor where they get morning to about noon direct sunlight then some shade as the day goes on.

Update: A seed pod formed last year and it finally opened this weekend. I now have a bunch of seeds that I will try to grow. There is a new bloom forming on a newly rooted plumeria that got broken last summer. Another bloom is on one of the original plumerias. I wasn't expecting to see blooms at all this year, so it was a nice surprise when I noticed them.

My white with yellow throats are blooming like crazy, however my pinks are slow bloomers!

10640-albums2451-picture79767.jpg

10640-albums2451-picture79766.jpg

10640-albums2451-picture79765.jpg

JOHN

Those all look great! Wish we could plant ours in the ground instead of potting them. It gets too cold here for them to survive a winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.