Leaking through screw in skimmer

Hi,

I have an in ground pool with a leak. Using your helpful pages I have used food coloring to identify that the leak is occurring round the lower screw head in one of my skimmers. Before I go and make matters worse, I am wondering if there is advice on how to best make a repair. Do I simply tighten the screw (my first thought) and retest, am I best placed to find a caulk or washer to help seal the screw / face plate or is it a bigger job?

Video

Thanks for all the work that has gone into the site. It continues to be interesting to read and has improved my understanding of how to look after a pool immensely.

Chris.

Attachments

• Pool Leak 003.jpg
    Pool Leak 003.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Welcome to TFP!

If the screw is loose, it might just need tightening. However, if it is already tight there is probably something wrong with the gasket behind the trim plate. There should be a gasket behind the trim plate which is supposed to seal the screw connections.

No such luck! The screw is in tight, I am able to get a fraction of a turn more, but still leaking. I have cheated for now and slapped a lump of modeling clay over the screw. Not very secure or pretty but it may buy some time. So now it looks like I need to find a replacement gasket. I am thinking that the skimmer is a Hayward SP1084 and that I would need one of these. Anyone know if this is correct? Is there a replacement FAQ or tips for other items I will need? Guessing the water level has to drop to fix this so depending on how my bit of modeling clay works out I will be replacing this in a week or so or at the end of the season when I lower the water to close the pool.

Got the new gasket from a local pool supplies store, lowered the water and set to work removing the skimmer plate. Caused myself a little extra work to get out the epoxy putty I had put in previously but was not too tough. The old gasket had pretty much disintegrated into a black mushy powder. Scrubbed the fiberglass and face plate to help with the seal. Gasket lined up well and I simply tightened the screws "just a little bit" sequentially until all were tight. No more leak at the front via the screw, but still motion at the rear. Having had the skimmer plate off I could tell that the leak was between the skimmer and the back of the fiberglass. Used some Water Weld on the gap and all looks good at the moment. Hopefully I will know for sure over the next few days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.