Need help with SW IG pool water balancing

Bobbyk

Jul 13, 2008
Hi,
I have a vinyl lined 28k gal SW IG pool. I just got my test kit today. I have not been able to raise my Chlorine level. I would like to share my numbers and get some advice on what to do. Someone told me that Phosphates can deplete Chlorine, so I tested for that too.
Here are my readings:
Free Chlorine: .19
Total Chlorine: 3.61
PH: 7.3
Total Alk: 104
Calcium Hardness: 324
CYA: 55
Phosphates: 1,000+ ppb (the test does not measure ppm)
Nitrates - Not tested. Should I buy a test kit for them?

JasonLion said:
Your CC level is around 3.4, CC = TC - FC, so you need to shock the pool. That may well take substantial amounts of chlorine, or maybe not. It is impossible to say just how much. See this article for details.

Thanks for your quick reply, and the link. I will read the article. Can you recommend a product to remove the Phosphates? Do you think that shocking, and removing the Phosphates will allow my Free Chlorine to increase? Should I remove the Phosphates 1st? Do you think I should up my CYA?

Don't worry about the phosphates. Pool stores have been really pushing phosphate removers this year, but they are almost never required. I don't see the point in paying for them unless you have one of the rare cases that require removing phosphates.

With a SWG your CYA level is a little low but not a big deal. I would shock first and then raise CYA to between 70 and 90.

JasonLion said:
Don't worry about the phosphates. Pool stores have been really pushing phosphate removers this year, but they are almost never required. I don't see the point in paying for them unless you have one of the rare cases that require removing phosphates.

With a SWG your CYA level is a little low but not a big deal. I would shock first and then raise CYA to between 70 and 90.

I will give that a try then and let you know how I make out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.