First Reading and Shocking Process

Jun 14, 2011
New Jersey
So here is my first reading I was finally able to take, my PH is high so 8.4 was my best guess but could possible be higher. I am going to use muriatic acid as soon as I get done writing this. other then that can I start shocking after adjusting PH?

FC - 0
CC - 0
TC - 0
pH - 8.4
T/A - 70
CH - 160
CYA - 40

Alright I am SLAMing it ! about how often should I check chlorin level and adjust?
Just like the how-to says:

Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.

I'd check it after an hour and see how much was lost. It all depends on your schedule and how much you're losing each time. It's hardly worth the effort to check hourly if you only need to add a cup of bleach to replenish it. But if you lost almost all of it, you need to keep on it.

Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.

I'd check it after an hour and see how much was lost. It all depends on your schedule and how much you're losing each time. It's hardly worth the effort to check hourly if you only need to add a cup of bleach to replenish it. But if you lost almost all of it, you need to keep on it.

Hey Richard, my neighbor's look alike :) remember me?. Yes I remembered I checked after like 2 hours last year and it was back to 0 from 24 which shocked me, I will check again now.

Hmm So it just tested at 29, I was going for 24 and couple hours later its at 29? Can my drops be bad? or was my bleach so much stronger? or is it testing wrong because of something else?
my FC was 0 and I wanted to go to 24 ounce in case of mustarg algea, so I added 8 and 1/2 jugs of 8.25 bleach to my 29,000 pool, about 1050 oz if I recall correctly. Did I miscalculate something?

edit. I do not think the powder is bad because I got new agent last season. I am really confused why it is so high.

nm this, got myself confused. FC still dropping very slowly, just tested and got 24 after all night and this morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pool may not be as big as you think or the chlorine is stronger than advertised.

As far as test results, if you put too little powder in last night, it may have turned clear too soon. Today you had enough, so it read right. Or you were in a hurry and squeezed the bottle too hard.

Just make sure that after the powder dissolves and the water is bright pink, you have one or two undissolved crystals left. That ensures you have enough powder.

Too soon? I read 29 FC when I was shooting for 24 so it turned clear late if anything :) the next reading was 28 and 23 this morning. I remember last year I lost all FC within an hour or two. The powder turns nice pink each time. I was thinking the drops might be bad cuz they are 3 years old..... but maybe not.

The pool is 29,000 K which was established with your help guys a couple of seasons ago. get perfect readings each time for everything until now using the 29,000K size.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.