Retrun Inlets in IG Pool

Jun 15, 2014
YUMA, AZ
Hi

I am replacing the five (5) return inlet eyeballs in my pool due to the deterioration of the old ones. The new units contain the housing, eyeballs, threaded retaining rings and three washers which can be placed inside the eyeball and make the opening for the return water smaller depending on which washer is used. I am wondering which, if any, of these washers should I install. The old ones did not have any washers. The units are 1" eyeballs. There are 5 eyeballs in the pool. 2 on the SW corner about 3 feet apart with one of those over the bench seat located in that corner of the pool and the second is about three feet to the east. 2 more units are on the NE corner with one over the steps exiting the pool and the second about three feet to the west if the steps. The remaining unit is in the NW corner of the pool. The units by the bench and the steps feel much stronger in force when the filtering system is running compared to the one by itself. I have a Zodiac Barracuda G3 unit which vacuums the pool. There is a main drain located in the deep end of the pool and the skimmer is located on the south end of the pool. The pool is basically rectangular in shape and is 9 feet deep in the deep (south) end which is approx. 12 ft. From the deep end it slopes upwards to the shallow (north) end of the pool which is 3.5 ft deep. The Pool is 36 by 16.

As I stated above, I am trying to determine whether I should put any of the restricting washers in the eyeballs. As of this time I have not put in any of the washers. The clerk at the store where I purchased the units didn't know whether I should or not.

I think you'll just have to experiment some. If the returns are plumbed in a loop, they should all flow fairly equally. Odds are, they weren't, and the returns closest to the pump will have more flow and the furthest hardly any. To fix it, you restrict the close ones a little. So what if it takes a week to satisfy yourself? It gives you an excuse to get in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.