Can this TA be right? (Newbie)

Jun 10, 2014
Cypress, TX
This is my first post, so here goes. Read as much as possible about TFP method and had first success at lowering 100+ CYA to 40 by replacing 60% of water :D. Also had some small patches of yellow/mustard algae in the shady spots, so I scrubbed every square inch of floor and walls with nylon brushes. Got my TF-100 kit in the mail late yesterday. Used it for the first time this morning. Felt like a grownup not having to run to the pool store. Here are the results:

FC: 4 (FAS/DPD); OTO 3
CC: 0.5
CH: 225
TA: 240 (tested 2x, same result) :confused::confused:
CYA: 40
pH: 7.6

Pool is crystal clear and has been the last 3 days. Most of pool is in direct sunlight for 11 hours in summertime.

I followed the directions to the T with the test kit, wiping the tip after each drop of R-0009. Can the TA reading be right?:confused: Yesterday, the TA reading from the pool store was 150.

So far, this morning after the test I have added 68 oz bleach and 65 oz of MA based on the pool calculator.

I set the pH goal on the pool calc to 7.2. Will follow the article on lowering TA by lowering pH then raising pH and repeating. Just feel like I have a false TA.

We do live in an area with hard water. Does a TA this high cause problems? Should I aim for the high end of the range (90)?
The only real problem is that it will keep pushing the pH up and you'll get awful sick of adding acid. If it becomes tiresome, you can go after it aggressively using the instructions in the How-to section of Pool School. Otherwise, just lower pH to 7.2 whenever it gets to 7.8 and it will come down eventually. It will take the same amount of acid to lower the TA, just in a shorter time period. For 99% of people, the TA reading is only necessary for poolmath to calculate the acid dose for pH adjustment. You're in no imminent danger of scaling, so I'd just adjust pH as needed and not worry about it.

I had a similar problem last year when I first filled my pool. Pool school and a few questions on here fixed me right up. Basically I kept my ph pretty close to 7-7.2 by adding muriatic acid every couple days. I did point my jet up so it bubbled out of the water too. My TA dropped right down to goal in a pretty short time. Had to do this just a couple times this spring too. Once you get your TA where you want it, you probably won't need to add MA very often, at least I don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.