Looking for a door lock

Hey folks. This is my official first full season with my pool and as of today, I now have a deck that allows easy access to my pool from my back door of my home. Basically, I can go out my back door, onto my deck and walk straight down the steps into the pool. Wonderful really... but here is my situation: I have a 2 year old that loves to swim. I need some sort of peace of mind that my little girl can't get out of my back door without me doing it for her.

Ive thought about putting a latch high up on the door so she can't reach it. Also, I have thought about changing my deadbolt to one that you have to have a key to get in AND OUT.

Has anyone else dealt with this sort of issue? Or would anyone know of a certain type of lock that would work best in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

We have a keyed dead bolt on our back door. You could also put a barrel bolt up high on the door.

Have you thought about putting a locking gate at the stairs that can only be opened from the other side by reaching over it which can only be done if your tall enough such as an adult?

[quote="Axl"
Thanks in advance![/quote]
Code says alarm door 60 inches above ground. We did.

But then the granddaughters are 6 and 10. They can reach it anyway, and may swim better than me. Rules are you can not go in backyard without an adult. Door opens without permission someone gets grounded. But they can both swim very well and understand the consequences so I really don't worry too much.

I would alarm it, then scare the 2 year old so bad, it never crosses her mind to do it again. !! Cause she will try it. Also swim classes until she is better than you.

Axl... I have a 4 year old and have the same thoughts as you. At three she could open any door in the house. It was not a big problem but I worried about night time and her getting to the pool or other outside place. I installed sliding bolt locks about 5 1/2 feet high on all my inside doors and chain locks on the slider doors about 5 1/2 feet high. We are with her all the time but at night time you never know. We also use a combination lock at the pool gate. This has worked perfect so far and if she cant get the door open her thoughts go to something else. She doesn't even try anymore.

Thanks for the replies folks! :-D

All these are great ideas really... and I will probably be using a little of everybody's thoughts...

1. I think I will add a battery operated alarm to the interior door so that I know when someone goes in or out.

2. Also, will probably change the deadbolt on the back door so that I have to have a key to get in and out of the door.

3. I already have a slide bolt lock on a gate at the top of the steps where you gain access to the deck from the yard... but I really like the idea of a combination lock on the gate door.

Wonderful information folks... thank you.

Well, I prefer the deadbolt that does NOT require a key to open from the inside. In the event of an emergency, panic may not allow a person to find a key to make a needed hasty exit. This was made clear to me years ago when I watched my MIL try to find her key, which she kept in a kitchen drawer, about three feet away from the door. jmho

Until you get your door alarms, you could use a small wind chime which will make some noise each time the door is opened.

Axl said:
2. Also, will probably change the deadbolt on the back door so that I have to have a key to get in and out of the door.
Please don't do that. As Joyce said, in an emergency to get out of the house for anyone (adult), finding the key might be a problem. There are other ways to make sure she can't open the door.

Swimming classes. You can't beat swimming classes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.