Total alkalinity with SWG

Thesil

Jun 24, 2013
Northern NJ
On the pool math app it shows range of AL @ 80-120
However, in one of your tutorials on SWG's , it's states that 60 is ok. What's correct? Also, in the SWG tutorial it shows 70-80 as the cya level while the pool math shows it should be 40-80. My Hayward Aqua rite says cya should be 40. Now I'm confused. What gives?

You didn't set up PoolMath at the bottom for the "Primary source of chlorine" to be "SWG". If you did, the CYA goal would be 70 to 80. I don't see how to get 40-80 you describe -- when goal levels are from "Traditional Pool", then CYA goal is 30 to 80 while with "troublefreepool.com" and chlorine source as "bleach" it's 30 to 50. Anyway, you should use "troublefreepool.com" with "SWG" which says "70 to 80".

The higher CYA level reduces the loss of chlorine from sunlight letting you use a lower SWG on-time percentage which will increase the life of your cell and also reduce the rate of pH rise in the pool. Just note that the higher CYA level requires a higher FC level -- 4 ppm FC.

As for the TA, here again the 80 to 120 is only if you have set "Traditional Pool". Change that to "troublefreepool.com" and change to "SWG" you will see 60 to 80. The lower TA reduces the rate of pH rise which is a common problem in SWG pools.

Yes, I see that and have changed it around to see the different values. I understand the relationship between cya and chlorine. It's confusing because on my Hayward Aqua rite manual , these are the ideal ranges they suggest.
FC 1.0-3.0. Alk 80-120. Cya 30-50. Salt 2700-3400. In the manual though, they lean to 40 as the best cya level. My head hurts

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.